Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When i pull my heads what do i need to look for

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Check for cracks on the way to the machine shop.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Well she is getting there! I also found out by pmm that the titanium gaskets come off of the same press as the oem the only difference is that they are black and not blue, they are exactly the same otherwise pmm just thought ford was asking too much and so they made there own. For half the cost (in the kit).

My crystal ball tells me that you will be doing head gaskets again in the future. Just remember several people told you to use OEM.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I might regret it but you never know.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok just for everyone out there im not using black onyx im using the exact samething as oems but they are pmm from the same place ford gets theirs from. Like i said earlier all the numbers correspond from the "titanium" to the oem gaskets pmm is getting them cheaper not at ford pricing

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,775 Posts
Hey man have fun doing this again to your truck. Can't say we didn't warn you. There is no room for mistakes when it comes to doing a head gasket job on our trucks. It WILL come back to bite you in the azz. Oh well to each his own.

Just remember when you do it next time your most likely going to need new heads. Because there is only so much you can take off of these heads before you have to buy new ones. And .008 yes 8 thousandths is all you can take off before you need new heads. So just hope that next time around when you are doing it again you still have some meat on the heads to get decked again. Also you better hope they don't crack or your looking at about 2-3 thousand for a new set of heads. It's better to spend a little extra money to do it right the first time than to skimp and pay out the azz to do it again later.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i thought it was .004... anyways use OEM gaskets. and pull the block heater. it will save you a big mess. have the heads pressure tested magnafluxed

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Ok just for everyone out there im not using black onyx im using the exact samething as oems but they are pmm from the same place ford gets theirs from. Like i said earlier all the numbers correspond from the "titanium" to the oem gaskets pmm is getting them cheaper not at ford pricing

You really think that PMM was able to convince everyone to let them make their own head gaskets using the exact same materials, equipment, and process as Ford? If you do, I have some ocean front property in Iowa for sale. It's cheap, I promise.

Search PMM and Cobb's Diesel. Then get back to me.

It's your money and your down time. You can listen to what everyone is telling you and save on both, or you can figure it out the expensive way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I decided to listen i changes my order to oem...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Guess if i ask for advice i should take it lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks man

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
I decided to listen i changes my order to oem...
Great decision! I just completed head gaskets, studs, and a new oil cooler on Monday. Tuscany is eye ball deep in the same thing right now. Trust us, this is NOT something you want to do again because you tried to save a couple hundred dollars on a part. Back in the day, a lot of people thought the BO gaskets were the bees knees. Until the gaskets blew and they had to do the job over again.

Good luck with your install, and keep us posted. Especially if you have questions. :icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Better safe than sorry. Once you get heads on you will see why you do it right the first time.
I did my hgs under my carport. I really don't want to tear into anytime soon. To much blood and sweat and tears. Good luck on the build.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I call that dedication. Bad a&%.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Just asking do we know what the gasket thickness is on the PMM gaskets compared to OEM. Has anyone else used them?

Just asking. Ducking as I typed this.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts