dont use the black onyx gaskets.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 on the gaskets

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I would not risk it either. Go to tousley ford web site and pick u up some oe hg's. There are way to many post on here about those black onyx.
Just did mine. Take your time and before you torque the heads down roll the engine over by hand. It is a pain in the a?! But it will save you in the long run. Make sure that the stand pipes are on the cam. If it isn't you are going to bend a push rod and if yours was like mine, break a rocker arm. Good luck. If you run into a rough spot just hit us up.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Push rods. My bad.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys will do im not doing the black onyx gaskets im doing the titanium ones they have to try em i figure with a lifetime parts warranty i might as well see how they are for ya :) ill keep in mind rolling over the motor when we get to that point ill post pictures of the build as we go along. Thanks again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey tuscany i noticed you just tore off the front end instead of the whole cab.... is it easier to just do it that way??? I would do the oem but already purchased the titanium ones o well live and learn

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Then RETURN THEM!!! Trust me if your doing this work you don't want to be doing it AGAIN because you got sold a bad part. It's a time consuming ( not hard just time consuming ) job to do and unless you want to spend the money on machine work again and new gaskets again and possibly replacing the heads cause they have already been machined once and next time will most likely be out of spec to do it again.

I pulled the front off because I don't have a lift and I didn't really want to pull the cab anyway I would rather just go in through the front. It's really not that bad to do it the way I am. And all I have for power tools in this whole job is 1: 1/2" drive cordless impact, 1: 3/8" drive cordless impact and a Shop Vac for when I pull the heads to suck up all the coolant and clean out the cylinders.

Here is a link to my build thread if you want to see how I'm doing it. Though it's not a write-up on how to do it but more or less a thread showing my progress and discussion of the build along the way.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/267064-shes-under-knife-my-build-thread-lots-pics.html

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill see what i can do to return them... ill have to see what my mechanic buddy who is helpin me what way is easier cuz lifting the cab looks like a pain in the a**

·
Registered
670 Posts
Trust Tuscany just do it cab on I did my truck twice (BLACK ONYX the first time). What ever you do use oem gaskets. I did my truck cab on front clip on, just pull it apart from the top and throw it back together. Its a piece of cake any way you do it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aight will do he sounds like he knows his stuff haha

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
I've done head gaskets all 3 of the ways. I prefer to do them cab off, but if I gotta do them cab on then I like to take the front end off and crawl right in there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well heck i have a shop and i have an A-frame that i can lift the cab with. So ill do it that way

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just use the black onyx. This way we can troll your repost with blown hd gaskets in 6 months. Everyone loves a troll....

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Um how about no id rather take advice from tuscany

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
If you have the equipment to pull the cab do it. You will save a lot of time in the end pulling the cab. Your back will thank you also.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats the way im looking at it haha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well she is getting there! I also found out by pmm that the titanium gaskets come off of the same press as the oem the only difference is that they are black and not blue, they are exactly the same otherwise pmm just thought ford was asking too much and so they made there own. For half the cost (in the kit).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 77 Posts