Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I've only had this truck about 2 months. 2000 Crew Dually 6spd 4x4. It has: 4" exhaust turbo back, gauges, larger fuel line and inline filter on frame (stock lift pump), ram air intake, regulated return system with a pressure gauge on the motor. It had a Western Diesel Tri Power on it. Thats who made the air intake too. It would smoke like crazy but ran good. It would build about 24 lb of boost. Egts were a little high but decent. I just ordered and installed a 6 pos PHP chip. all of my smoke is gone which I could careless about but my boost is gone too. It used to build about 5lb at normal driving now i have 0 untill about 1/2 throttle. Also my truck doesn't run as good as it used to untill I switch to the extreme 140 tune. When on this tune it smokes a little nothing like before and my boost is 19 lbs max. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it possible that my old chip was custom tunned and that my truck has aftermarket injectors???? I'm trying to figure out why I removed whats claimed to be a junk chip for a good one and the truck doesn't perform any better.

Here is a pic of the return system. What are the stainless blocks that the lines go into?

Does this turbo wheel look stock for a 2000?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Firewall looks awfull sooty. Badly leaking up-pipes will cause low boost.
I would suggest fixing that before you try to trouble shoot the tuning

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats some type of undercoating someone sprayed on there. My up pipes aren't leaking. I went from 24 lb of boost yesterday to around 20 when I switched chips. What kind of boost does everyone build with a php chip

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll build 24-25 psi with my PHP. Mods in sig.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
171 Posts
All you have is a php and an exhaust and intake? So same as mine other than the fuel system?
Pretty much. No other performance mods yet.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only get about 19 maybe 20 in a 140 race tune. The truck would build 24 before I installed the chip. Wonder if there is a problem with my chip?

·
Registered
769 Posts
If I run the **** out of mine i have seen 28 with the PHP a couple times but it usually maxes out 25-26 if I wail on it. Intake, exhaust and a WW is all ive done.

Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I run the **** out of mine i have seen 28 with the PHP a couple times but it usually maxes out 25-26 if I wail on it. Intake, exhaust and a WW is all ive done.

Jim
Huh well I'm gonin to email them and see if they have any ideas why its not as good as it should be.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
are you seeing 20 pounds of boost on your hot tune?
if your truck is smoking less it should be running more efficient as well.
im seeing 25 pounds of boost with leaky up-pipes on my 120 and 140 tune

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you seeing 20 pounds of boost on your hot tune?
if your truck is smoking less it should be running more efficient as well.
im seeing 25 pounds of boost with leaky up-pipes on my 120 and 140 tune
20 lbs on my 140 tune. It used to built 24 with my old chip. EGTS are about 200 cooler now. It will smoke only when on the hot tune. Any only if I'm really on throttle hard durring shifts. It used to smoke at anything over 1/2 throttle before I bought a php. I don't care about the smoke. I just don't think its right. My old chip was in the truck since 2001 and it ran better tha the 80 DD tune an almost as good as my hot 140 tune. And it built more boost than any PHP tune.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Php designs their chips to run with less smoke than competitors. Have you tried pulling the chip and testing your boost then?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
oh and im guessing the blocks for the fuel system are the fuel pressure regulators?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You dont upgrade the fuel system on a super duty unless you plan on doing some good mods. What was the point of that?

Boost doesn't always equal power.. but that does seem like an odd drop-off.. Try reseating the chip.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I've got an intake, exhaust, PHP chip, and a regulated return fuel system. I see 24 psi on my 100 and 120 hp setting. I've never seen more than 24 though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You dont upgrade the fuel system on a super duty unless you plan on doing some good mods. What was the point of that?

Boost doesn't always equal power.. but that does seem like an odd drop-off.. Try reseating the chip.
The fuel system was on the truck when I bought it. I do plan to buy injectors and stuff eventually once I come up with enough funds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I only get about 19 maybe 20 in a 140 race tune. The truck would build 24 before I installed the chip. Wonder if there is a problem with my chip?
Try taking off the chip and cleaning it really well again. There may still be some silicon on the circuit boards that's making a bad connection??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The circuit board was clean when I took it apart the first time because it already had another chip in it. I took it apart again and recleaned it all. Still can't get more than 20lb on my 140 tune no matter how hard I run it. It seems kinda sluggish out of the hole. It would pull out alot better with my old chip. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts