Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my kids to a horse show today and my friendly neighbor let me borrow his F350 Super Duty.

Get to the show and I notice a steady drip inside the RF wheel, behind the wheel and also behind the plastic well liner. It looks like it has been dripping there for a while the main frame rail had been wet and dried up a few times.

So, I add three water bottles to get to max and after I got back from the show checked the level again. Now it looks like it is 6 bottles short.

What is the most probably failure I am dealing with here?

Hope I can at least give him an indication what might be going on here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check where the Egr cooler meets the oil cooler if he has the orange hose there it's probably the cause they're is a updated blue one from ford

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just came back from taking a closer look.

There is a large box on the firewall at the right hand side. Looks like there is a fan there.

Could it be leaking from the bottom of that box, even when the heat is off?

Where would I find the EGR?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
you sure it's not condensation from the AC

·
Registered
118 Posts
Condensation from the ac wouldn't cause the coolant to be low though I don't believe ?...... Egr is located on the passenger side of the truck... Look down beside your turbo kinda under the intake manifold

The turbo and fuel bowl and oil filter housing are missing in this pic but where that u shapes pipe that connects to the intake and oil cooler is where the Egr cooler would be

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
He has water condensation coming from the a/c. The coolant was probably low to begin with or there could be another leak somewhere. My truck will start a lake under it from the a/c being on when it's hot out. It used to worry me as well but it's normal. OP did you smell coolant from inside the cab with the a/c on while your driving?

·
Administrator
30,461 Posts
Condensation from the ac wouldn't cause the coolant to be low
that is correct it wouldn't,,,,,,,
So, I add three water bottles to get to max
but I bet the poster didn't check the coolant before driving the truck so had no idea what the level was

and also may not be aware of the new lower advised full level in the reservoir

Edit '' Tuscany would you please stop posting when I am typing !! LOL

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If it looks and smells like coolant it could be leaking from one of the heater hoses but I am kinda with the others that it was low and then ya overfilled the degas bottle and the leak that is there is condensate from the a/c.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not check fluids before I left.

I filled up to max at the show after it had been sitting there for a few hours.

Come back at the barn and it is below min again. 20 miles of driving maybe.

AC condensation does not leak on the leafsprings and frame rail.

Looking up between frame rail and wheel well liner I see that the top of the plastic liner has heat shield material on it. That was wet.

The back of the cylinder head towards the fire wall is dry.
The back of the engine is dry.

Is that the heater box on the passenger side up against the firewall?

Thanks for all your suggestions

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
The A/C condensor is right above where you are saying the "leak" is coming from. I'm not discrediting your judgment I'm just saying these trucks will drip condensation from the A/C that looks like a stream and will form a small lake under the truck right where you are saying it is happening. If at all possible then take your fingers and get them wet with said substance and smell it. If it smells like coolant then your answer is obvious if it doesn't have a smell its just condensation.

As far as the coolant being low they are supposed to be filled to about 1/4" below the minimum line on the degas bottle (coolant overflow reservoir) but no higher than the minimum line as it will puke out of the cap.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I agree, he is looking at two different things. His neighbors truck was drinkin coolant before he borrowed it. Egr cooler or hg's.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are hg's?

I turned the heater on this morning on the way up there. I think shortly thereafter it started to smell. Not the sweetish smell of AF, more a burning electronics kind of smell.

On the way back AC was running, never smelled it again.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
If the truck has leaf springs then it isn't a 6.0...

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
HG's is short for head gaskets. If you weren't smelling coolant than I wouldn't suspect blown egr cooler or head gaskets.. Did you get some of the liquid on your fingers and smell it to see what it was?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I can not believe I just posted that... so STUPID! I know these things! I'm quitting!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts