Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much boost will our trucks push with an exhaust and a tuner. My autometer guage only reads 35 lbs. Also where do you tap in for this guage. On my 7.3 I teed into the map sensor line, but curious of other options that might be a little cleaner install. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
It depends widely on the truck and the tune.
Some peoples trucks don't hit that high and some can get about 40.

My truck would hit about 36psi on a tune from [email protected] DP but now it won't hit 28psi on an Innovative tune that pushes the same amount of power (and less smoke even though it
doesn't need as much boost)

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
You don't want to use the MAP hose. Tap into the intake elbow for the most accurate reading, also if you use the MAP hose over time might cause the needle to flutter on the gauge.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just drill and tap the intake elbow? is it that thick?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Yes, just drill and tap. It's thick enough to tap. Remove the elbow first so you don't get metal chips in the motor.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
ya i hardly get over 20psi since going to Eric's street tune
You may have a boost leak, either at the IC boots or the flex joints on the up-pipe/y-pipe. Do you have any mods? What year motor? Any work done to the truck recently?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Tuning is going to greatly depend on how much boost, with a SCT SF3 out of the box look for 26-30 PSI. With custom tuning, it can vary, on our 6.0L Powerstroke with IDP tuning we see anywhere from 32-35 PSI, granted that is with 185CC Injectors, AirDogII, & Garrett Powermax. Your 35 PSI should be perfectly fine, if your tuner has you pushing over 35PSI on a stock charger, your WAY WAY outside its effeciency range, JMO.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
hardly's like 25? i guess that's not really 20 but still not normal? that's wot (mods mbrp 4inch turbo back still has scrapper and idp street tune) 06

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone give me a better idea where to tap? In the IC pipe or the cast intake piece its self? Anybody with pics? Sorry to be a pain, just dont want to mess up and have to buy parts or have a leak. thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
You may have a boost leak, either at the IC boots or the flex joints on the up-pipe/y-pipe. Do you have any mods? What year motor? Any work done to the truck recently?
Forgot to mention sticky vanes, and clogged up EBP tube.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Can someone give me a better idea where to tap? In the IC pipe or the cast intake piece its self? Anybody with pics? Sorry to be a pain, just dont want to mess up and have to buy parts or have a leak. thanks again
The cast elbow, if you look at the first picture, top left, you will see where I tapped the elbow above the casting numbers. The second pic is the ports on a CFM+ elbow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lilpooh you are a scholar sir!!!!!!! Thank you for all your help. Why would you need 3 ports in the elbow? Water/ meth? propane? or just other guages?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Lilpooh you are a scholar sir!!!!!!! Thank you for all your help. Why would you need 3 ports in the elbow? Water/ meth? propane? or just other guages?
Just a guy who's been there, done that!! 3 ports, 1 boost 2 for water/meth.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You guys who are seeing low boost numbers 28 and lower.. Are you using an insight? My boost gauge well hit 35psi when I really get on it and my insight will never go over 28.... just curious. I just use my gauge to read it since it's as accurate as it gets.. I always thought it was weird when I first put my insight in how the boost numbers were lower...

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
You guys who are seeing low boost numbers 28 and lower.. Are you using an insight? My boost gauge well hit 35psi when I really get on it and my insight will never go over 28.... just curious. I just use my gauge to read it since it's as accurate as it gets.. I always thought it was weird when I first put my insight in how the boost numbers were lower...
Here you go, have fun reading.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...sion/192210-attention-edge-insight-users.html

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah I figured something like that.. Just wanted to see if those guys reporting low numbers also had an insight to confirm my thoughts.. And let them know it's probably not a true reading they are seeing

·
Registered
114 Posts
stock boost gauge that comes on the truck, and i went out just to see the max i could get only went to possibly 21

·
Registered
129 Posts
Stock I can hit about 28 but since I got Eric's street tune for a non-studded truck it now only gets 20 lbs of boost. Which I think is normal, as someone said earlier I believe he is cutting down on the boost and pulling more power out of the engine with different air fuel ratios. I believe that would keep the pressure down inside the cylinders and be easier on the head bolts. I could be wrong so open to correction. But I can go back to stock and run 28lbs of boost. These readings are all off the stock boost guage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts