Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what is the max boost pressure from the factory? I see about 31-32 psi, is this acceptable for a completely stock 6.4?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I have looked with no success

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think I used to see mid to high 30's on WOT back when my truck was stock, but that was a while ago. Are you worried about your numbers being too low or too high?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am worried its too low. Its tops at 31-32. Is that normal? The thing is I am about to get h&s and delete but if something is wrong I need to address it first.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
31-32 is a little low. Before my DOC/DPF fell off I would see 38-39.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what could be causing this? How do I fix it?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do all 6.4s run @ 38-39 or does it vary?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I can not speak for all 6.4, only my experience and what i have read on the various forms. Might want to go for the simple fix by checking the the bands on the cold air boots. After that take it to the dealer. Could be the gage, TCM needs to be re-flashed, and a bunch more. Sorry could not add much more.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys. Ill call the dealer and see what's up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have h&s programmer and still only see 32-35... i was starting to wonder the same thing. i hate to put dpf back on and take to dealer if im actually getting more. i have xrt pro so i dont have guages.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually am starting to believe my dpf is the cause. Im sure its pretty clogged it has 125k miles on it and regens between every 50-100 miles. Today I was pulling my horse trailer up a hill on the hwy and the boost spiked to 35ish for a brief moment. So im thinking maybe nothing is wrong with the engine or turbid.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ford recommends to change the dpf after 110-120k miles so it may be the problem, it will be 3 times cheaper to do a tuner, exhaust, and intake then to buy a new dpf.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what im thinking. It makes sense if the exhaust can't flow enough then its not going to spool the turbo. Thanks everyone. So yes I need a tuner... if anyone wants a nice brush guard its in the FS section. Thanks.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I have compleately pegged my boost but that was towing. Just driving around it generaly stays mid 30's.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many miles do you guys have that are seeing "normal" boost levels?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Remember..... boost is a measure of restriction in the intake manifold. In theory if you have a more free flowing exhaust your boost may be lower but the power greater

I see 6.4s all the time that don't seem to want to make more than 31-32psi unloaded. To really spool those turbos you may need to be hauling a nice sized load

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks sinner!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
When i was on the dyno the highest boost i saw was 37. It made plenty of power tho

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get rid of the DPF, It sounds like your truck cant breath at all. My stock boost was the same as yours 32-34psi unloaded.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to. I was thinking the same thing. Thanks to all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts