Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved my boost pickup to the AIH today. On the test drive I still only hit 26lbs max on my 140 tune. With that being said, I have read of people hitting 30 no problem and I'm just trying to figure out where it could be leaking from. I'm thinking of the boots, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds about right to me.:thumb: I've seen higher in mine but I adjusted wastegate 3 turns in.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Unplug the wastegate and give her a run. You sould be able to hit 30psi. If not, inspect for leaks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That answers my question, the wastegate line is unplugged :hehe:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think strokin is telling you TO unplug your line. It will give you more boost. If yours in already unplugged and if your only getting 26 then you probably have a leaky boot. Rig up a boost leak detecter and go to town on it

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand what Strokin is saying, and the line is unplugged. I'll be rigging up a boost leak detector today.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
316 Posts
wastegate line

Will that mess anything up unhookin it,and how do u ajust it?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
That's what I was going to say, I think aslong as you're over 25 at some point on a hot tune you shouldn't have much to think about.

I am lost with that one....:dunno:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I had my Edge I would hit 30-32 on the 100hp setting. It was not constant but it would peak up there when the TC locked. But with the DP on 140 I don't hit it. 12 bucks later I made myself a boost leak detector, but I don't have the energy to take a loot at it tonight. So I will take a gander tomorrow and see what I find.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
When I had my Edge I would hit 30-32 on the 100hp setting. It was not constant but it would peak up there when the TC locked. But with the DP on 140 I don't hit it. 12 bucks later I made myself a boost leak detector, but I don't have the energy to take a loot at it tonight. So I will take a gander tomorrow and see what I find.
I believe the edge has a built in boost fooler, at least the edge for the dodge does.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I put in my boost fooler it wouldn't go above 25, this was after the boost fooler.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Will that mess anything up unhookin it,and how do u ajust it?
Take the (2) 10 mm nuts off the diaphram on the back of your turbo by firewall (you can use a mirror to see them) for your w/g mark it so you know where you started, pull it off Turn it in 3 turns ONLY. It is HARD to pull to get off and back on so be prepared. I have seen a spike as high as 34 under a load with w/g disconnected so BECAREFUL.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Before I put in my boost fooler it wouldn't go above 25, this was after the boost fooler.
I am having the same deal with my truck.....

how do yall make a "homemade" boost leak detector????

I am gonna try wireing the WG shut JUST to see if it is a weak WG spring..... because I have the rod turned almost all the way down and the line unhooked and I cant break 25psi.....

use to be that I couldnt break 22-23 psi but since I put in the modded HPOP that has gonna up a little ways.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take the (2) 10 mm nuts off the diaphram on the back of your turbo by firewall (you can use a mirror to see them) for your w/g mark it so you know where you started, pull it off Turn it in 3 turns ONLY. It is HARD to pull to get off and back on so be prepared. I have seen a spike as high as 34 under a load with w/g disconnected so BECAREFUL.
Are you talking about the head on the wastegate or the rod? I took the head off thinking you meant that when you turn the head the rod should turn. So I turned the rod in a half turn with some pliers and don't know where the head ended up. Anywho I'm now spiking 25 and will get 22-23. Tonight after she cools down I think I'll go back and turn the head in a few times and see what happens then. Also after using my leak detector I found no leaks.:doh:

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
Anything over 27-28 PSI, is really pushing the limits of the Stock turbo. I hit 30, but definately dont keep it WOT much for that reason. I just rebuilt it and I dont have the funds to go to a D66(Yet, hehehehe)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts