Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious when everyone else seems to hit their max boost pressure. My truck seems kinda sluggish as of late. Watching the boost gauge I can only manage around 23-24 until I hit overdrive, then it climbs to 27-28 and throws the overboost codes. BTW, it goes to 15 psi pretty quickly then seems kinda slow up to the 23-24, then jumps up once it shifts to overdrive.

Racing a friends truck, his jumps about the length of it out front and stays until around 40mph and then he starts pulling away (with me launching in 2wd). He isn't aware of any programmers on it, however, when I cleared my superchip and tried to put it on his truck it gave me an error. Also, he has a K&N drop in filter and nothing more. He has a 99 ext cab, lwb, 2wd.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It could have a chip in the computer. I had a 7.3 once and when I bought it I thought it ran better than stock, it came from a dealer and they didn't know if there was a chip in it . when I tried a programmer it wouldn't work either. Here there was a chip in the computer. It was on the driver side just under the hood latch. you pop that cover off and then if there is a chip you will be able to see it plugged in to the end of the computer. I took it out and it didn't have any writing on it so I sold to another guy and put a programmer in so I knew what I had.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone watch when their boost reaches its max? Approximately what speed, rpm, gear.

·
Registered
290 Posts
stock i hit 15 and on shifts i could watch it spike and hit 16 or 17, now with the mods in my sig, i climb to about 30, and itll spike up to, ive seen 33/34

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Mine jumps up to 25+ real quick, boost is controlled by fuel, maybe you have some other problem not getting enough fuel to it? Also try doing the map fooler mod.

When I ran the SCMT in mine before a lot of my other mods, it would top out around 22 psi but it got there quick.

It would and will hit max boost within a couple seconds of flooring it and hold it through all of the gears.

Please ask your friend to get rid of that K&N drop in filter and do the DIY intake before he has to rebuild a very expensive engine. If he puffs black smoke when he is running you then he has a chip or programmer installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts