Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just happened today. itll hit about 28psi and it will usually hold there like its supposed to. but today it hit that but wouldnt hold it. it dropped to about 20psi through the higher rpms. any ideas.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
check for any boost leaks yet that will kill you boost just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
is it a 7.3if so check your up pipes if a gasket goes you will get a lot less boost and high egts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
im all out then any codes

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
thats all i got sorry couldnt help

·
Registered
597 Posts
Check your fuel filters. could be starving for fuel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
do you have a sct, or something you can log pids with?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I wonder then if the vanes in the turbo are stuck? That is also common. What year is truck?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its an 03 6.0. it will hit about 28psi then as the rpms build up it gradually goes down and steadies at around 20psi.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Personally, I would inspect the VGT vanes and the EGT valve. If the vanes are all coked up, it can blow the seals on the valve.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
easiest way is to remove the elbow and remove the two bolts and get a 2' pry bar, slide it under that valve and it will pop right out..no wiggling, it just needs to come straight up..

some people also loop a cloths hanger around each tab on the valve and wrap it in a fashion that you use some type of pry bar or break bar and pop it right out..

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did the seat of your pants show a drop or just the gauge? Mine dropped and I found that my gauge tube connection had ruptured. Got to go fix that this evening when it cools off. :doh:

i can feel the loss in power as the boost lowers, so i know its not the gauge.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So this is a definite change?? Reason I ask, is that when I'm on stock tune, my truck will hit about 28 psi around 2500 rpm, then back off to about 20, then shifts, it goes back up to around 25 and then back down to 20, then shifts, and back up to 26 or 27.... this repeats all through the gears until you get into 4th, then it loads up to about 30 psi at 3500 in 4th, but your doing about 90 by then,.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts