Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first diesel, so bear with me. I recently bought a 2002, F250, 7.3 and it had a total engine rebuild at 195,000. Has Edge Manual 6-chip. (Bored, pistons, rings, crank, rod brg, lifters, valves, injectors) Only have 2000 since then.
When towing, it just doesn't have the power I expected. I've never seen the boost get over 15 in any gear or situation. When towing a gooseneck and small dozer, in 4th gear, I can get the boost up to 11-13, then the waste gate opens up and looses any power I had. In 5th (OD) I've never seen the boost get over 5. Same thing as 4th. Waste gate opens and all power/speed is lost. Everyone says with a full rebuilt engine, boost should be 20 and should be able to maintain 70 on the hwy with a loaded trailer. I'm not even close to that. Changing the chip doesn't seem to make any difference except raise the exhaust temp.

Frustrated in Montana, Scott

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,856 Posts
You most likely have a boost leak, especially if everything was taken off the motor. The most common is the clamp connecting the up-pipes to the back of the turbo. It is very hard to get on and just because its clamped down doesn't mean there is a seal. I find the easiest way of connecting and assuring a seal is to connect the turbo to the up-pipes before putting in the two main bolts. Also check all your boots that they are seated properly and don't have any tears.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.