Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I am going to get on the freeway and I start to climb the overpass to make the loop around and I notice that the truck is REALLY sluggish. I get on to the freeway and start moving along when I notice that I have no power. (truck is back to stock from DJ's xtreme street from late last night) As I am in the slow lane on the freeway I notice that I cannot get about 55 mph. I also see that my boost is no more that 10 psi. When I try to floor it the boost actually drops to about 5. (boost guage tied into map sensor) Still in the fast land at about 55 and a Utard minivan riding the HVYW8 big time.

Then all of the sudden the boost kicks in and I have no issues and I am moving along nicely at 70 mph. Then the same boost problem again. Then the boost kicks in and no problem. So I am pushing the pedal to the floor repeatedly to see if I can hear the turbo and I can but then the same thing would happen again. Yesterday the truck was running like a champ with the custom tune and now I am bewildered.

I am planning to leave tonight or tomorrow for a 4 hour trip to pick up a 26 ft camper trailer from Utah to Star Valley, WY. So my 3 questions are; What is making the turbo do this? Should I curtail my towing trip until I have this worked out? If I put the tune back on would it solve the problem.:doh::dunno:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that the check engine light did come on yesterday and I tried to pull some codes and nothing appeared on the SCT. I cleared it and it was gone. Then last night it kicked back on so I returned to stock and cleared the check engine light. Any clues?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump::bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
659 Posts
get a good scanner hooked up and i bet you will throw a map sensor code.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get a good scanner hooked up and i bet you will throw a map sensor code.
Is that causing my problem though? I have not had any issues until this morning when I returned the truck to stock. Never had an issue before when the truck is tuned with innovative.

·
Registered
659 Posts
if it does not do it with the tuner then i would say you have some type of a fuel issue,if it is not dumping enough fuel with the tuner out that would make boost to wierd stuff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This morning I am going to get on the freeway and I start to climb the overpass to make the loop around and I notice that the truck is REALLY sluggish. I get on to the freeway and start moving along when I notice that I have no power. (truck is back to stock from DJ's xtreme street from late last night) As I am in the slow lane on the freeway I notice that I cannot get about 55 mph. I also see that my boost is no more that 10 psi. When I try to floor it the boost actually drops to about 5. (boost guage tied into map sensor) Still in the fast land at about 55 and a Utard minivan riding the HVYW8 big time.

Then all of the sudden the boost kicks in and I have no issues and I am moving along nicely at 70 mph. Then the same boost problem again. Then the boost kicks in and no problem. So I am pushing the pedal to the floor repeatedly to see if I can hear the turbo and I can but then the same thing would happen again. Yesterday the truck was running like a champ with the custom tune and now I am bewildered.

I am planning to leave tonight or tomorrow for a 4 hour trip to pick up a 26 ft camper trailer from Utah to Star Valley, WY. So my 3 questions are; What is making the turbo do this? Should I curtail my towing trip until I have this worked out? If I put the tune back on would it solve the problem.:doh::dunno:
This happened to me. My truck is still under warranty form 05. They told me they would clean the turbo. I took it in and they told me it was so stiff they had to put on a new one. Your warranty should be 5 yrs or 100,000. They will check it out and clean it or replace the trubocharger or the relay might just be bad. Hope you can use your warranty. If not the new turbo is $2600. It still just might need cleaned and lubricated with never seize. The dealers do this if you still have warranty.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE My dealer rocks!!

Took the beast into the dealer and they took care of me. They are a great group of people!!!:thumb: Anyway, they thought that the problem was a mass air flow sensor and they replaced it and it still ran horrible. So they ended up replacing the egr valve and two sensors. I don't have the paperwork right now to know exactly what it was but they told me that the egr valve was "coked" and so were the sensors. Any clues as to what causes this? Had to pay the $100 deductible and I was on my way. Truck runs like a champ now!:woot::woot:

·
Registered
781 Posts
the tuner if the tuner sends black smoke out the tail pipe, then some of that will build up on the egr valve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts