Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed a boost guage to see what kind boost numbers my truck is making. This is a temporary install in ashtray teed into MAP sensor. I noticed that the guage flutters above about 10 psi to the max of 15 psi. Is this normal or could this be a sign of a turbo needing to be rebuilt? I did a search and came up with nothing. Can someone shed some light on this please? The guage is a stewart warner -30 vacuum 40 psi boost guage. thanks for looking

·
Registered
659 Posts
do you notice it besides looking at your gauge

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
What does it sound like when it flutters? It might be turbo surge, which is BAD. And you'll need a new turbo wheel like a wicked wheel or a new housing.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
if you tee'd into the map line that might be the problem. Alot of people experience gauge flutter tapping into the map line. Once you "install" the gauge it would be better to tap the intake plenum.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
if you tee'd into the map line that might be the problem. Alot of people experience gauge flutter tapping into the map line. Once you "install" the gauge it would be better to tap the intake plenum.
HEY would that explain the fact that it won't go very high too?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no noticeable difference in the way it sounds or drives. I only see the fluttering on the guage. I checked the connections @ the tee and the guage all are tight. Maybe I'll drill and tap the y pipe. thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts