Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a boost gauge the same thing as manifold pressure gauge??? ccause i have manifold pressure gauge, and when it gets above 28psi SES light comes on!:dunno:

·
Registered
55 Posts
yup, pretty much the same thing

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Basically the same idea. The stock turbo shouldn't be pushed past 25 lbs so don't rely on that light.

NCH

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
thats where the boost fooler comes into play. If you are blowing more than 28 its going to set off the SES so you need the fooler so the stock map sensor doesnt read that and start to defuel you. Boost gauge is more of a gasser deal since the manifold will aslo read vacuum where a diesel just needs to read pressure since there is no throttle body.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thats where the boost fooler comes into play. If you are blowing more than 28 its going to set off the SES so you need the fooler so the stock map sensor doesnt read that and start to defuel you. Boost gauge is more of a gasser deal since the manifold will aslo read vacuum where a diesel just needs to read pressure since there is no throttle body.
HUH?

No vacuum on a diesel, gassers do not need a boost gauge unless they are running some type of forced induction. Anything above atmospereic pressure(14.7 at sea level) is considered boost, and todays diesels make plenty of it, so I would say a boost gauge is very much a diesel deal.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Basically the same idea. The stock turbo shouldn't be pushed past 25 lbs so don't rely on that light.

NCH
I have ran about 30 psi up a hill for 30 minutes severall times, and have had my wastegate unplugged for about two years, never had a problem with my turbo, other than the ses light. But a diy boost fooler will fix that shortly

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
HUH?

No vacuum on a diesel, gassers do not need a boost gauge unless they are running some type of forced induction. Anything above atmospereic pressure(14.7 at sea level) is considered boost, and todays diesels make plenty of it, so I would say a boost gauge is very much a diesel deal.
I appoligize for my miss wording, he was saying he has a Manifold pressure gauge that it would imply that it reads only pressure, and when I was saying boost being only a gasser thing I meant to say boost/vacuum gauge like I had on my turbo WRX. Where you have a throttle body that will need to read vacuum. Where on the other hand a turbo diesel has no throttle body and will read positive pressure or nothing since there is no intake restriction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh my bad.

Some of the DMAX's and 6.0's have "throttle bodys".

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Oh my bad.

Some of the DMAX's and 6.0's have "throttle bodys".
My fathers 82 and 83 mercedes do, and it threw me for a loop when I got my first PSD about a year ago, was so used to the gasser way of life.

I wonder the diesels that have throttle bodies dont have EBPVs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts