Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing all my gauges and the egt works fine but my boost gauge isnt reading well, if i rev it all the way up it will only go to about 4 psi, i checked for kinks and it is teed into the map sensor hose with a pastic t fitting the gave me with the kit ita not the brass fitting type though. what could the problem be?

·
Registered
211 Posts
the turbo wont build boost unless its under a load. try running it. not just revving it up in Park... get in it and drive some where

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just hooked it back up and drove it and it read a reading now but it doesnt seem like it is reading right still at about 2500 rpms its at like 5 or 6 psi and when im almost redlining its only like 12-14 psi, is this corrct readings?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
At wide open throttle you should see about 14-17 if you are stock. You will only build high boost under load. Sitting in park or neutral you cant build much boost.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay then my gauge seems about right, how much more boost will i push after i install my tony wildman chip and injectors?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
okay then my gauge seems about right, how much more boost will i push after i install my tony wildman chip and injectors?
Yeah it seems right. With just a TW chip on mine i hit 25-28 depending on load conditions and stuff. Im not real sure with the stage 1's, but i have driven a truck with stage ones and i think it hit about 35, which is not good on a stock turbo, just so ya know. A stock turbo you don't really wanna push over 30 psi, it just wears it out prematurely and doesn't do much good anyway because over 30 the stock turbo is inefficient and just super heats the air charge.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yeah it seems right. With just a TW chip on mine i hit 25-28 depending on load conditions and stuff. Im not real sure with the stage 1's, but i have driven a truck with stage ones and i think it hit about 35, which is not good on a stock turbo, just so ya know. A stock turbo you don't really wanna push over 30 psi, it just wears it out prematurely and doesn't do much good anyway because over 30 the stock turbo is inefficient and just super heats the air charge.
Jake is right. My OBS with Tonys tunes can hit 24-25psi. And Jake that truck with stage 1s was pushing over 40....not good on the stock turbo at all.

edit: That was with DI tuning. Im thinking the tuning is poor and way to much fuel OR hypermax somehow sent stage 2s on accident. I dont know but stages 1s have never smoked that much or built that much boost. Back to topic, sorry.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
I wasn't real sure if it hit 40 or not, i just didn't want to say that and be wrong, i knew it was well over 35 though, thats why i said that. And yeah, thats extremely bad on a stock turbo.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I wasn't real sure if it hit 40 or not, i just didn't want to say that and be wrong, i knew it was well over 35 though, thats why i said that. And yeah, thats extremely bad on a stock turbo.
Yeah, the highest I saw when driving it was right around 40 with throttle left. He told me on the phone that it can see 45+. I dont understand how? He said its really hot tunes, but damn.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
O and Jake I sent you a pm, get on it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I know thats not good for a stock turbo at all thats why i have the gauge so i dont destroy it, but thanks a lot for the input it helped a lot

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
No Problem. Im getting stage 1 injectors (cores are bought), probably will get installed near christmas cause Im in college and dont have time, but i will let you know how it acts with those:thumb:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
9 is the highest you have seen? On the OBS correct? Thats low man.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts