Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 stroker i was wondering if i could mess with the waste gate at all to make better boost? but if i do that would i need a boost gauge first to make sure that i dont over boost it?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have a 97 stroker i was wondering if i could mess with the waste gate at all to make better boost? but if i do that would i need a boost gauge first to make sure that i dont over boost it?
94.5-97 powerstroke dont come with waste gates on the turbos, new superdutys they come with them.
If you have stock injectors you wont really have to worry about over boosting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
then wat do they have that i hear everyone talking bout that they disconect or unplug or somethin that gives them more boost?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but there is a valve on the bottom of the turbo that looks exactly like a waste gate. there is a arm coming off the vavle also. unless thats the vavle your talking about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wat would be the easiest way or wat is the easiest way to hook up a boost gauge ina 97 powerstroke

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
T into the map line.....

U can unplug the "valve". It is a 2 wire connector on the drivers side of the turbo. When everything is working correctly, the "valve" closes abit, to make the engine work harder, which builds heat faster. If things arent working correctly, it can close anytime, idle or WOT, or any time in between...causing a sever loss of power...especially if your up to speed on the road or highway.... trust me, its not a real good feeling when it happens.... If unplugged, it may take an additional 5 mins b4 you get any warm cab heat.
Mines been unplugged for about 3 years now, with no problems. I finally gutted the pedastool (removing the rod and internal spring assembly).
IMO, I belive it to be a wise choice to unplug it...just for peace of mind.
Some are using it as an exhaust brake, theres a write up somewhere for the mod.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
.....it has nothing to do with boost......

Still stock...then no worries of overboosting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i still semi stock got intake an straight pipe that bout it though so i got the gauge in im pushing bout 21-22 psi now wat can i do to get some smoke out of it with out a chip i mean it blows no smoke wat so ever not even when i pre load in park nuetral nothin wat can i do with out spending an arm an leg?

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Take a picture...
:doh::doh: i completely forgot. ill get it some time this week

wat would be the easiest way or wat is the easiest way to hook up a boost gauge ina 97 powerstroke
map line like stated below ...

T into the map line.....

U can unplug the "valve". It is a 2 wire connector on the drivers side of the turbo. When everything is working correctly, the "valve" closes abit, to make the engine work harder, which builds heat faster. If things arent working correctly, it can close anytime, idle or WOT, or any time in between...causing a sever loss of power...especially if your up to speed on the road or highway.... trust me, its not a real good feeling when it happens.... If unplugged, it may take an additional 5 mins b4 you get any warm cab heat.
Mines been unplugged for about 3 years now, with no problems. I finally gutted the pedastool (removing the rod and internal spring assembly).
IMO, I belive it to be a wise choice to unplug it...just for peace of mind.
Some are using it as an exhaust brake, theres a write up somewhere for the mod.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
:doh::doh: i completely forgot. ill get it some time this week
He was talking to the OP about the valve. To make sure it is still a stock OBS turbo on his truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya i still semi stock got intake an straight pipe that bout it though so i got the gauge in im pushing bout 21-22 psi now wat can i do to get some smoke out of it with out a chip i mean it blows no smoke wat so ever not even when i pre load in park nuetral nothin wat can i do with out spending an arm an leg?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts