Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my truck booked in for monday to do the upper / lower ball joints on both sides. While it's getting tore apart, I'm getting them to replace the o-rings and seals for the hubs.
Anything else I should be doing?
I thought of doing the leveling kit, but ran out of time to order it.:(
Brakes were just done about 10,000 kms ago......so they should be good.

They quoted me $1200.00 including alignment.:dunno:

·
Registered
636 Posts
that sounds about right i was quoted 950 to do mine. make sure they use teh moog brand ball joints so you can grease them. and from whati know there is 2 orings that need to be replaced or at least looked at while everything is off. one of them is teh culprit for the auto hubs not working

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on......
He is changing 4 seals and 2 o-rings.:thumb:

I don't know if that is right or not, but he agreed that the seals and o-rings should be done.
The seals seem really expensive, but he said he gets them from Ford.
Seals were about 118 and 80. $200.00 just for the seals!
I wish I could've done the leveling kit at the same time considering I'll need an alignment......again!

·
Registered
370 Posts
The entire kit of 4 ball joints, and seals is only $263 from powerstrokeshop.com. An alignment is about $80. So you're paying $857 in labor...labor that will take about 3 hours. Damn do they lube you for that? I suggest you get some experience and do it yourself or with the help of someone on here if there's someone local to you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The entire kit of 4 ball joints, and seals is only $263 from powerstrokeshop.com. An alignment is about $80. So you're paying $857 in labor...labor that will take about 3 hours. Damn do they lube you for that? I suggest you get some experience and do it yourself or with the help of someone on here if there's someone local to you.
No Kidding!!! I feel ripped off now. The last set I did I only charged the guy 300. and that included replacing the axle u-joints too :doh: But he did have to take it somewhere to get the alignment done. No wonder he was so happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree to high. Mechanic buy trade did my own 3 hours tops. Dont no what book time is maybe 6 hours. I fix Toyotas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts