Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 7.3 which started bogging down, so pulled over changed the fuel filter which looked ok & foo i went, got 5 miles down the road same thing, took fuel filter out & put back & did another 5 miles before it did it again, did this for 40 miles & filled up with diesel 12 gallons thinking it would sort it out but i was wrong, had to do it another 2 times to get home. Then I thought I wonder if it could be the crank sensor ? so i changed it ( had one in the glove comp) & low & behold it ran great. went on a 400 mile trip the week after & a 100 miles from home started doing the same thing, so changed the sensor again & came straight home no problems. I do run a mixture of cooking oil & diesel which i have been running for 3 years with no problems, any input would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you run your mixture in the stock tank? Stock pump? Do you have gauges? Would be good to know what's going on with your fuel pressure. I take it it's not throwing any codes?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
How cold is it there? the cooking oil could be gelling up on you. Check your oil level also. I don't think its related to the cps at all. So did you actually change the fuel filter at any point?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
when u say running a mix im taking it as you fill your stock tank with the wvo and top off with the diesel?

sounds to me like your wvo is too thick and gumming up the situation. iirc thats not a good way to go about burning the stuff?

maybe someone with more practical expirience(im just a key board veg guy....for now) might chime in

·
Registered
624 Posts
Are you burning unheated veg that is just mixed in with D2 in your stock tank? I've only heard bad stories about that scenario...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Are you burning unheated veg that is just mixed in with D2 in your stock tank? I've only heard bad stories about that scenario...
X2
not a bad situation. More like a horrific disaster looming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well I have been running this mixture for 3 years with no problems, the only thing i did do different was using oil that i haven't had standing, so as to let the water & crap settle to the bottom. This was because i got some oil off a guy that filters it & it is so clean, I did run it thru my normal 20 micron filter before it went in the tank, just can't understand how it shuts down & then after standing for a minute starts up & runs ? The temp down here is high 80s & the engine was hot after running 200 miles. My normal mix is 5 gallon diesel, 5 gallon gas & 20 gallon oil, 3 years no problems, saved around $5000
Yes un heated even thru winter & it does get down to 15 degrees

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well I have been running this mixture for 3 years with no problems, the only thing i did do different was using oil that i haven't had standing, so as to let the water & crap settle to the bottom. This was because i got some oil off a guy that filters it & it is so clean, I did run it thru my normal 20 micron filter before it went in the tank, just can't understand how it shuts down & then after standing for a minute starts up & runs ? The temp down here is high 80s & the engine was hot after running 200 miles. My normal mix is 5 gallon diesel, 5 gallon gas & 20 gallon oil, 3 years no problems, saved around $5000
I hope you have the $5K you saved. You will likely need it.
If you knowingly run cold WVO(less than 160*F) in a diesel engine, only filtered by a canister or spin on filter, wimper elsewhere.

The risks you assumed were known, calculated and obvious. I for one will be offering little help because of you assuming the risks you did.

Howver, the kindness of my heat will give you a couple clues. Namely, did you check fuel pressure? THe spring and assembly has proven to erode with wvo use. Did you look at the in tank filters? That is an obvious one there. They were never designed to run WVO. THey gather poly. Get a buzz test performed.

Other wise good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks vegginpsd

Didn't even know about intank filter, are you talking about a strainer or a proper filter, strange place to put a filter you can't get at, but think i will pull the tank & do the pipe mod people do on these engines. As for the 5 grand, only paid 10 for truck & had it 6 years. I would love to hear your theory why I have had no trouble for the last 3 years running what I have been using. I actually got the best millage I have ever got using this mixture which was 575 miles before my low level light came on. Many thanks for the reply

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You can only gauge "best mileage" over many tank fulls, not one. Could be driving style.
It ran fine for 3yrs because it was building up probably. My truck ran fine on different batteries till they wore out. Same idea. Just cause it DID run good doesn't mean that wasn't the cause.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A 20 micron filter is no where near adequate, and I hear NOTHING about how you are adressing free and suspended water, but thats another thread entirely.
Yes, there is a tampon type filter in the tank. if you are filtering to 20 micron, thats likely the problem at the moment. You do have some major issues looming if you continue on the course you are on.
When you are cursing while dropping the tank dont blame me. I didnt put the filter screens and check valves in there nor did I dump RUG and VO in your tank. You did.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I see another "why you being such an ******* veggin " comment comming lol.

Man i don't know how your truck has run the way it has on this mixture. And again i have no "practical " experience with wvo. What i do have is almost a year of searching reading and rereading forums, sites and picking brains of guys that do. I've leaded a lot. One thing ive learned is veggin knows his **** and provided has just as much or more knowledge about wvo/Bio as anyone. If he offers advice if look into it.

My question is who or where did you get this mixture idea from? Its the 1st I've heard of it. I do know I've read a lot of wvo getting a bad rep due to people thinking they can roll up to McDonald's fill their stock tank up right out the bin and take off across the country.

Anyway I'm interested and subed to this thread

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It sounds like the DSE formula.

I offer tough love. Like it or leave it.
Calculated risk has consequenses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just let the oil sit for at least a month, all the water & crap sink to the bottom, truck still runs great now apart from this little hiccup, going to take the tank off now to do the hutch mod & clean the tank out, might be a bit dirty with using cooking oil for 3 years, Ive read that the engines run alot longer using cooking oil, more lubrication, not like that diesel crap, so how long you think my engine got left after doing 40000 miles using wvo, just can't wait to post again in another 3 years that its still running gooooooooooooooood!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Man i hope that's the case. I'm just going off what I've read and learned from guys that know. F u an post pics. I have my interest

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Just let the oil sit for at least a month, all the water & crap sink to the bottom, truck still runs great now apart from this little hiccup, going to take the tank off now to do the hutch mod & clean the tank out, might be a bit dirty with using cooking oil for 3 years, Ive read that the engines run alot longer using cooking oil, more lubrication, not like that diesel crap, so how long you think my engine got left after doing 40000 miles using wvo, just can't wait to post again in another 3 years that its still running gooooooooooooooood!
ugh.

you are on borrowed time already.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This should be interesting...:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am merely stating what has been proven to be the obvious.

I may not agree with what he is doing, however, I likely have solved his problems if he choses to take my advice on the failures and procedures.

No need to fuel the fires, Parkcity. I really dont give two squirts of piss if he continues to blend or get his truck running reliably and correctly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It sounds like the DSE formula.

I offer tough love. Like it or leave it.
Calculated risk has consequenses.
Sounds like a Jeffrey Brooks mixture.

Nugger the truth is ( as I see it anyway) is some people do seem to have pretty good success with running a blend of WVO/D2 in their PSD`s. That`s what they claim anyway. Haven`t seen enough of people using RUG as well to comment on that. However there is ALOT of people who have tried what you are doing & ended up in a terrible mess. Things seem to work great until they don`t. Then the sh!" storm happens. On the other hand the vast majority who run WVO in a 2 tank system rarely have any problems. Which of the 2 would you rather take a chance on being successful long term. I know which one I would pick.:wink[3]:

Please post some pics of the poly mess your gonna find in your tank.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tank is spotless!!!!!!!

Ok took the tank off & couldn't wait to open it up, still had half a tank in there so had to siphon it off & low & behold not a bit of gunge any were!!!!! super clean infact, so any way, when i took the screens out they did have alot of crap in them, large particles but i could still blow thru them easy. Did the hutch job with the pipes but i did find that the two vents on the tank were bunged up with lime rock of these back roads down here & thats what I think as been the problem. I also took the sending unit apart as it hadn't been working for the last 6 months, when i took it apart its very simple how it works, it as a thin brass stripp attached to float rod which moves around in an ark rubbing against a back plate which alters the resistance, well the brass strip had dissolved to the point that it was wafer thin, so i made another strip from some copper wire & its working good. I told the wife I should take pictures but after the negativity I have been getting whats the point, no one would believe me. I was expecting a mess after 3 years using the mix but not the case. As for the 2 tank system, I wold go the rout if I could get my hands on more oil . Can anyone tel me what the problems people have had using the oil like i am, thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts