Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a month ago i did the blue fuel pressure regulator spring on my 2005 F350 6.0. I recently have added an Air Dog 2 pump onto the truck and set the pressure at/around 55psi. I was told that because the air dog has a regulator i should remove the spring and let the pump do all the regulating. Does this sound right? I was told that the two regulators could be whats causing my poor mileage 12-14 Mpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never gotten good mileage with the truck, but never paid to much attention to it. IF the two regulators were causing it to be worse i wouldnt complain with an extra mpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I removed my blue spring and brass cup from the fuel bowl this morning, now my guages are reading no higher than 35 psi with the regulator screw turned all the way in on my Air Dog 2. Definitely need some advice on this guys, Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if im not mistaking the blue spring stays in. the fuel pump wasnt the issue on the fuel pressure being low. it was the spring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have spoke with a few people on this now and they have explained that the reason behind running an Air Dog is because it is a high pressure pump.It should, on its own, be able to put out up to 70psi where as the stock pump cannot and that is why the spring is needed.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
but you now only seem capable of 35 psi without the spring lol so if your not making enough then put it back at 35 you will starve the injectors then you will have to replace those as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do agree with what you are saying and i dont want to be replacing injectors thats for sure. would you say that the airdog is not running correctly though if only putting out 35psi?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
did you turn the pressure up on the airdog? or just the factory filter housing

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i turned the regulator screw in a little bit at the time to bring it up but it stopped going up after 35psi

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what does it show wot

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
The blue spring needs to stay in your factory regulator, that is why your only seeing 35 psi. You can delete the stock fuel bowl and regulator all together and let the air dog regulate and filter the fuel. As long as you have the stock fuel regulator the spring needs to be installed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay well with the spring in it is showing sufficient psi but I guess I misunderstood the idea behind the airdog. I was under the assumption that it could and would put out enough psi without the help of the
Spring?

As far as wot goes: I haven't run the truck because of the low pressure reading and not wanting to risk ruining injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
You can also gut the fuel bowl so there is no more regulator or filter inside.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I gut the fuel bowl though that won't help that the airdog is only putting out 35psi to the bowl will it? Or are the guts interfering with the actual pressure reading that I'm getting?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also I forgot to ask. When I removed spring should I have removed the brass cup that the spring sits in or no? How does that affect the psi

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
With the current setup that you have right now you have 2 fuel regulators one on the air dog and the factory, I'm not sure where your gauge is but it sounds like it is after the stock regulator. Without a spring your stock regulator is essentially set at 0 psi. The concept behind the updated blue spring vs the original spring is that the blue spring is stiffer and raises the fuel pressure. To let the airdog regulate the pressure on its own you will need to get rid of the stock regulator.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My gauge is located on the fuel bowl on the bottom left side where the test port plug was located

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The reason why your only seeing 35psi is because when you took out the spring and poppet, your allowing fuel to return to the tank from the factory fuel return line.

What you need to do is, remove the spring,poppet, then you also need to block off the factory fuel return line. You can cut out a circle disk from a soda can to fit inside the fitting.

Here is a pic of the fuel return line that you need to add the soda can disk to prevent fuel from returning to the tank causing low fuel psi.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to be clear, it is the line running off of the cover that holds the spring in place? Am I better off to do this and block it off or put spring back in place?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts