Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the edge add on for fuel psi last month and the pressure was dropping to around 33psi at WOT, sitting at 46psi at idle. I ordered the blue spring kit and finally installed it yesterday. My fuel pressure now reads 65psi at idle but still drops to around 40 psi at WOT.

Does anyone know why the blue spring kit would not bring the psi up enough at WOT? I do have the banks 6 gun that I always run on level 6....maybe that has something to do with it?

I will be getting my SRL from Matt on Friday maybe it will make a difference? Other than that I really don't know what to do.....

Advice? Air in the pressure sensor line maybe? I would think if there was air in the line it would mess with my idle reading as well right?:dunno:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sorry I don't have anything to add but I added the Edge sensor also and am getting reading in the low 40s at WOT.

:popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant to add that about the filters. I changed my filters right after I installed the fuel gauge, it didn't effect my readings. This was prior to the blue spring though....but they are only like 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I plan on doing the blue spring this weekend so I'd like to hear more.

I'm guessing the banks might have something to do with it. I definitely wouldnt be caught with that in my 6.0

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was in there when I bought the truck.....regardless of that it will be gone at then end of the week and I will definitely update this post with the results.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This also has been happening to me. Iv changed springs filter and pumps. My pressure was good for a while when I got my srl+ then all of a sudden it dropped and I did all the things I said to try and fix it. No luck yet

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any change if you run the Banks on 1 which is stock?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I can still get it to drop to 40-45 psi but only on the 2nd to 3rd shift. Its much harder to get it to drop when its on 1.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had the same problem with fuel pressure when I got my tuner. When stock it would be fine, but when any of my custom tunes was installed the fuel pump couldn't supply the volume to maintain pressure. Mine dropped from the 60's down to the 20's. I ended buying an Airdog II (165) and problem solved.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
The oem FPR is a POS as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't get my fuel pressure stable even with the blue spring and an Airdog II DF165.

Block off the fuel return line and see if you still loose pressure at WOT. If not you know the problem is in the FPR. If you do then look at the fuel pump, draw tube in the tank, or crud in the HFCM.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Mine does this too. Thing is it only happens sometimes.... Like razor said I notice mine doing it when shifting from 2nd to 3rd mostly. Gonna get an Airdog one day and just plumb it straight to the heads.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled the six gun out today. Even running stock I am able to get the fuel psi to drop to 38 psi WOT. If I don't go all the way to the floor it won't drop below 55 psi.

Guess I'll keep my foot out of it until I can get an airdog.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Did you do what I told you? That'll tell you where to look for the problem. You need to do some basic troubleshooting. If you aren't willing to do the work to isolate the problem take it to a shop.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The oem FPR is a POS as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't get my fuel pressure stable even with the blue spring and an Airdog II DF165.

Block off the fuel return line and see if you still loose pressure at WOT. If not you know the problem is in the FPR. If you do then look at the fuel pump, draw tube in the tank, or crud in the HFCM.

Did you do what I told you? That'll tell you where to look for the problem. You need to do some basic troubleshooting. If you aren't willing to do the work to isolate the problem take it to a shop.
No I did not, I missed your previous post somehow. :dunno:

I don't mind doing some troubleshooting. If you don't mind would you tell which line is the return line? I had to pull the line that goes into the cover that was removed to do the blue spring......is that the feed line or return line?

How would I go about blocking it and how long is it safe to drive the truck with that line blocked?

My apologies for the newb questions but this will be my first troubleshooting experience with a fuel system.

Edit: I found which line the return line is in the 6.0l bible. What would be the best method to go about blocking it?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yes the return line comes off the FPR where you put the blue spring. Make yourself something to block that line off at the FPR. Take a pair of snips and cut a circular disk from a coke can or a beer can to fit in the hard line coupling to the FPR. Take it for a test drive and see if you still loose pressure at WOT. If not the problem lies with the FPR. If you still loose pressure it is a supply side problem.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, appreciate the help. I will give it a shot tomorrow and post the results. :thumb:

Just curious....you said you weren't able to get your pressure to stabilize even with the airdog. What did you end up doing to fix it?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, just got back from my test drive after blocking the fuel return line.

With the line blocked it idles at almost 90psi! Under WOT it drops to 58 psi. Thats quite a drop so I imagine I need to look towards the fuel pump, HFCM, and draw tube? Would the HFCM be the best one to start with?

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok one more update

I went ahead and pulled the filter out of the HFCM just to see if it was clogged or something. It was not, and everything looked fine. I put the filter back in and took the truck for a drive and this time the lowest it dropped was 48psi on the first WOT run and after that I was not able to get it to drop below 55psi.

Maybe the filter was not seated correctly? I guess the SRL will really test it when I get it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts