Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to periodically see blue smoke when I idle down after long trips. Pretty sure its the turbo seal- everything else is running fine.

I don't have time to replace it myself, so I'm gonna call the Ford house tomorrow and see how much it will be to replace it. How many hours/what cost do you think it should be to have a new seal put in?

Surely someone on here has had the same thing happen..

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
no seals inside the turbo are servicable. if it actually is a turbo then they're going to quote you either a center housing or a complete

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking they were serviceable. That sucks that the dealer won't do it. I don't know if I'm capable of taking it apart and rebuilding it by myself.

I don't have a tuner (afraid to blow my HG) so that's why I am kinda on the fence regarding the powermax. I read it will lag worse than the stock until it sees some tunes.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I was thinking they were serviceable. That sucks that the dealer won't do it. I don't know if I'm capable of taking it apart and rebuilding it by myself.

I don't have a tuner (afraid to blow my HG) so that's why I am kinda on the fence regarding the powermax. I read it will lag worse than the stock until it sees some tunes.
Just because you don't have a tuner doesn't mean they won't go on u, I'm on stock studs and custom tuned for a couple thousand miles. Get your custom tunes from Matt at gear head. He has a really good record with stock studs
Go with a powermax. I wish I could

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
rebuilding can be hit or miss as well. i rebuilt mine and was back to blue smoke in less than 2 months. put the powermax on over the summer and have been trouble free since. still running stock head bolts and no issues, just be sure to tell your tuner and you'll have no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Need to check endplay in the turbo shaft. Should not really have any in and out play. Could actually be a problem with the CCV system? Most of the time when I hear if blue or white smoke at idle has to do with a CCV system that is not working right or has been modified...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This weekend I'll check the endplay on the shaft then look at the down pipe. I probably will just go with the Powermax if I see oil. Maybe get a SCT tuner to keep the lag out. Thanks for the replies and help.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,084 Posts
Rebuild parts are available at:

http://gpopshop.com/

Get your turbo serial number and give them a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts