Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summertime when ambient temps are above 60 degrees, the truck starts perfectly with no smoke.

Fall/Winter/Spring when the ambient temps fall, the truck still starts perfectly but gives a big puff of blue smoke. The smoke never comes back under any driving conditions unless you let the engine cool off for at least 8-10 hours and then you'll see it on the cold start.

Turbo? :dunno:

Valve Guides? :dunno:

Piston Rings? :dunno:

I used the search function, but I couldn't find anyone else that gets blue smoke on a cold start with no drive-ability issues.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
What oil are you running, how old is it?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What oil are you running, how old is it?
Rotella T6.

Oil life has no effect on the issue, only temp. The colder is outside, the bigger the cloud of blue smoke.

Wasn't very cold this morning, but here's a quick video of a cold start:

Please disregard the dirt....I haven't had time to wash it. :eek:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I know that is probably annoying you, my 7.3 would do that until it warmed up. Then I finally changed the oil, and it quit. I assumed it was the turbo, or valve stem seals. Mind you it's got 308k on it now. I ignored it, and it went away. Sorry i'm no help.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I'm not going to be any help either. Sorry.... :(

I've been having the same thing happen with mine. The colder it is the bigger the puff. It started the end of last winter/spring. Just a small 2 or 3 second puff, very light haze, light enough that I was wondering if I was seeing anything at all. Nothing over the summer while it was warm. Now that its getting cool again it's back but worse than before. Probably twice as long now and thicker. No codes, no drivability issues. However, I think I'm starting to notice a bit of a miss at idle right after starting. I'm hoping that I get a chance to check the turbo this week but I'm starting to lean towards an injector. I don't know... Hopefully you get yours sorted out. If I learn anything I'll let you know.

Does anyone really care what I used to send this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to be any help either. Sorry.... :(

I've been having the same thing happen with mine. The colder it is the bigger the puff. It started the end of last winter/spring. Just a small 2 or 3 second puff, very light haze, light enough that I was wondering if I was seeing anything at all. Nothing over the summer while it was warm. Now that its getting cool again it's back but worse than before. Probably twice as long now and thicker. No codes, no drivability issues. However, I think I'm starting to notice a bit of a miss at idle right after starting. I'm hoping that I get a chance to check the turbo this week but I'm starting to lean towards an injector. I don't know... Hopefully you get yours sorted out. If I learn anything I'll let you know.

I had a col start miss develop with mine a couple of years ago....got a new FICM and 8 new injectors under warranty and the miss went away.

Sounds like we have EXACTLY the same issue....blue smoke relative to ambient temp.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Def interested exactly what my truck does.....mine sits for a few days usually but this week I'm driving it all week to see if it changes when not sitting. I use synthetic as well but I've always been told synthetic doesn't burn so makes me wonder.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Synthetic oil not burning is a myth. It has a higher flashpoint than dino but will burn just as well.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I had a col start miss develop with mine a couple of years ago....got a new FICM and 8 new injectors under warranty and the miss went away.

Sounds like we have EXACTLY the same issue....blue smoke relative to ambient temp.
Mine started after my FICM was repaired by Ed at ficmrepair.com. I now have the beta test BPD FICM in it (so it's not just a half shell replacement it's the full FICM). Based on that I'm thinking FICM is not the issue. Injectors sound likely although no codes or anything concrete to point me in that direction yet.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
And just like that I've jinxed myself! Threw a #2 injector code today. :(

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
And just like that I've jinxed myself! Threw a #2 injector code today. :(

No kidding......that sucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts