Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning when I pull out of the street my truck will blow white or blue smoke for about 50ft. then it's gone. The truck is cold and I'm not giving it more than half throttle. It doesn't do this all the time but it's happening more than usual. It still runs fine. What could this be? Only thing modded engine wise is the cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I think your gonna have to wait for the pros to come in here. Everytime I have a problem I call Scott..He knows EVERY SINGLE THING about these trucks. Without a programmer and no mods its makes it hard to blame it on anything. I had my studs done, new EGR cooler, 2 new injectors, they put the truck all back together and about 2 weeks later had another injector problem so I called ryan up and we took care of that :hehe:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice today while at work some blue smoke coming from Peterbilts that were cold so I think the blue is normal but still kinda curious about the white.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
white is coolant and blue is oil, IDK man my truck likes to put out all kinds of colors lol. Im surprised no one else has replied on here yet

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
White can also be unburnt fuel post cylinder...

·
Registered
786 Posts
White can also be fuel. Post cylinder/incompletely combusted fuel is black (soot).

It's possible your valve seals are worn. When the engine shuts down oil leaks down the valve stems and onto the valves/into the cylinder (depending if they're open or close) then it'll burn upon start. Ussually if your burning oil its either rings or valve seals (short of gasket failures/cracks) in a basic engine. A compression test will tell you if its rings but since its only upon startup thats very unlikely.

Although I've never heard valve seals having problem on these. I'd look somewhere else but its an idea.

Are you losing oil?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts