Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You dont think the blow by could be from valve seals or cracked head. Truck dose not fit in my garage because of center post but no room anyways because of project car I'm going to get back to one day so would it be better for a remanufactured engine of have this one rebuilt difference In price is only like 2k if my heads are still good. And I dont trust spending 2-3k on a used 150k mile engine when for 1-2k more I can get a 0 mile one

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Worn valve guides and bad seals can leak into the crankcase, but only when the turbo is blowing pressure - in your case - cranking or idling the turbo pressure is minimal. Would have to be a whopper of a crack in the head to blow into the crankcase - also miss any water passage

Broken or worn rings, scored cylinder, cracked piston -- that is what causes puffing -- I suppose "if" a head gasket happens to blow only to a push rod galley, then that could also be a cause

Really at your mileage there will be a lot of wear on the innards of the engine, if you really like the truck maybe consider a donor engine or trade to a newer model. I am thinking a reman engine or repair of your would be more expense than should be on a high mile engine

Now with that said, if oversize parts are available -- you could bore the block and turn the crank, new camshaft and lifters, have the heads rebuilt -- and have a sound running engine for another 600k miles
Thing about old blocks and heads -- they have been thru enough heat cycles that any stress cracking and shifting is already is already done
Crankshafts, I have seen warp enough after they are out of an engine, that they physically will not fit back in -- those need to be replaced

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,855 Posts
You obviously have water in the crankcase, but the "puffing" looks like a cylinder issue also - as Hydro stated!

I would be taking an oil sample to see how much water was actually in the oil (send it to Blackstone if need-be).

I am inclined to believe you have both a cracked head AND (most likely) a ring problem on a cylinder (again as hydro posted).

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for all the info I will do an oil sample, did not even think about that. Got the turbo out today it was cool outside on my weekend and today was 30 and windy ill get back to it monday or Tuesday but up side wife is cool with what ever I decide. New truck or i found a 130k engine still in the truck for 2500 I could do that and rebuild this engine when I have time. And not rushed. I'll get these heads off and keep you updated thanks a gain

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have every thing off and un hooked excepted for the high psi oil line waiting on the tool to get here then head bolts will upload pic when I get them off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Going to straight edge the block tomorrow, 4 cylinder you can still the the honing crosses did not rotate engine to check the other 4 ran out of time the head gaskets did not look bad at all will get pic of that, number 4 valves looked like it was not seating properly but going to inspect and send pics tomorrow. Thanks for looking

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the heads back today they took .007 off both and re seated the valves going to order the stuff today. Oil cooler, turbo ped. Turbo rebuild kit, inj. Cups, and all upper gaskets and orings.

·
Registered
624 Posts
How did you go about cleaning the head gasket material out of the cooling jackets? I have a 7.3 on an engine stand I’m doing a top end rebuild on, and when removing the leftover headgasket off the block, lots of pieces fell into the cooling jackets

I don’t want to circulate the coolant via the water pump when I install the engine for fear of clogging the oil cooler with these pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Getting a turbo ebp delete pedestal. Doses it matter if it's an early 99 or a late 99 the pics look the same but the one for the early 99 I cant get a turbo rebuild kit with i

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just got the head gaskets done and truck running fine so far coolant is not blowing out. I did the ebpv delete, new turbo wheel, big head w/g actuator, replaced every oring and gasket on the top end, and oil cooler, and studs. Did not pull cab or engine. What a pain, probably took twice as long doing it that way. Would not do it like that again. Replaced the cups as well. Did not find any cracks in any of them but a couple look like the seal went bad on the bottom. That was probably the problem the whole time. Trying to get parts with this whole covid-19 was so so fun also. But shes running good will do a final post in a week to say if shes still good or not

21 - 38 of 38 Posts