Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was running my truck a couple towns over, it was running good all day until I was about 15 minutes from home, I wasn’t getting boost and it seemed like my truck was running with no turbo. I limped it home and checked it out and it seems as though my turbo is shot, it has no whistle and my idle even sounds rougher than before. I unplugged my MAF sensor and I figured the truck wouldn’t start, just crank over. But it fires right up, could there be a problem with my MAF restricting air flow or something. I’m not too knowledgeable but I’m willing to learn and I need a hand. I can post more info and videos if needed. Let me know if you guys have any idea on what I should do. I’m thinking all I can do is pull the turbo at this point and check it out

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Start out with the year and any significant mods, and work done recently ? ;)

A monitor would be handy, I prefer ForScan for testing and Torque Pro as a everyday monitor
the BAFX or OBDLink MX+ adapter goes well with both tools

Any codes?

Check turbo hoses -- pull the turbo inlet hose and check end and side play in the shaft
check air cooler end tank gaskets to see if they re blown out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

A monitor would be handy, I prefer ForScan for testing and Torque Pro as a everyday monitor

Any codes?

Check turbo hoses -- pull the turbo inlet hose and check end and side play in the shaft
Hey there. It’s a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke. I’ve had the truck for about a month and a half now and it’s ran solid other than what just happened recently, I haven’t done any mods to the truck just changed all the fluids and filters. It is a stock truck afaik, it has a K&N air filter and a sinister coolant filter otherwise I think it is bone stock. I do not have a monitor but I’ll have to invest in one. There are no codes on my dash other than the air filter reset by the stock trans temp gauge. I will try checking to see if there is play in the turbo and I will get back to you if I find anything else out

·
Registered
531 Posts
Were you speed limited or just no power?
If your truck wanted to rev to the moon and you don't seem the get and speed, I'd check the map hose and sensor. You'll need to look into the map port and look for clogging. Or just clean it out. If the map hose is cracked, it'll cause boost problems as well.
If it needed to rev, but gained speed very slowly or "gutless", then you need to go through the CAC system and check the compressor wheel for play.
You could have lost fuel pressure, but I don't know if that will cause the symptoms you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Any codes?

I pulled my air intake off and I checked the shaft play, it moved up and down, but it seemed solid when I tried to move it side to side. I noticed the
Were you speed limited or just no power?
If your truck wanted to rev to the moon and you don't seem the get and speed, I'd check the map hose and sensor. You'll need to look into the map port and look for clogging. Or just clean it out. If the map hose is cracked, it'll cause boost problems as well.
If it needed to rev, but gained speed very slowly or "gutless", then you need to go through the CAC system and check the compressor wheel for play.
You could have lost fuel pressure, but I don't know if that will cause the symptoms you have.
Hard to say I took it easy right as I noticed something was off, I’d say more like no power. Although I managed to get up to 80km and stay there for majority of the drive. My turbo wasn’t working at all it sounded like my engine was having a hard time because of it. When I got home I checked it out a bit more. My truck has a boost gauge installed, I tried putting it under load and revving up my rpms and I had 0lbs of boost. Even with a blown turbo I figured I’d get 2-3lbs of boost, but the gauge said nothing. I checked the connection and it was still hooked up properly. Since then I shut the truck off and pulled some things off so I can check further into it. Everything was hooked up solid like before, one thing I noticed is a slightly damaged (small) hose coming off of the air intake that plugs directly into the engine. It looks like it’s missing an o ring and it wasn’t on properly. I don’t have much experience with turbos put I checked for shaft play the best I could, it moved up and down quite a bit but it was pretty solid when I tried to move it side to side. Another thing I noticed is my FICM is loose, everything seems to be plugged in but it’s only held by 2 bolts, I wonder if that could be causing my problem. Let me know if you have any ideas on what to do next

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
If the MAP hose is bad, at the very least its a contributing factor to what you see. I think that’s the hose you’re describing on the passenger side that goes from the air intake to the MAP sensor. You can buy a hose of the same size from the auto parts stor, cut to size, and install.

Left right and up down shaft play is really the same thing, or side to side. There’s a spec for that, but without any tools its hard to tell. What I go with is a little side to side play is OK and it will take a little bit of force from a single finger to do that. If there were any in and out play, that could be bad. The only way I judge this is off a known good turbo. You should be able to spin the turbo turbine shaft freely without binding or noises, but it takes a bit of force to get it spinning.

Reving the engine at a stop won’t produce two or three pounds, really need to be driving with the engine wanting to move the 8k LBS beast.

A dirty turbo with a sticking unison ring is a possibility, but wait until you get a scanner to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Does the oil pressure come up immediately when the engine starts?
Any warning lights on the instrument cluster? -- codes would be good to know
Shaft play in the turbo can seem like a lot -- side to side(radial) but should never touch the housing
push the shaft and try to rotate, if you can still rotate then should be OK
There should be zero(nearly) end slack in the shaft
Look at the wire harness on the VGT valve at the turbo for burned wires -- be careful with the harness as it is old
Check the MAP sensor hose and intake manifold nipple -- the hose can crack or split and the nipple can clog

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
If you have an automatic tranny, then "brake torque" it a few seconds -- should spin up the turbo just fine

Reactions: Tb69
1 - 8 of 8 Posts