Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I lost all my coolant and have a blown in half belt. When I opened the hood and saw the belt, I decided to start pouring coolant back into it and realized it was leaking out the bottom pulley. I originally thought that is why it was over heating because it blew the belt. My wife was driving it so all I knew was that she said it was over heating and she was losing the power steering and power brakes.

So I'm assuming this was all caused by a failed water pump? I need to do some more looking at it when I get a chance but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing before? Had to get her towed back to the house. :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
19,258 Posts
While you have it apart, check your pulleys, Idler assemblies and such. On my '01, my idler assembly went bad and I ate 2 belts a couple of months apart before I figured it out. After replacing that, I haven't shredded a belt since. (A couple years now). Checking now may save you from repeating this or having to go in again to fix something else.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've replaced my water pump a few times with similar scenarios but luckily I catch the pump leaking and don't over heat it.

Let us know what you find.

As stated, while you are in there it's good to replace idler pulleys and tensioner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I’m just now gonna get to it today. What is the best way to check and test to see if a water pump is bad? Same for the pulleys?

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I’m just now gonna get to it today. What is the best way to check and test to see if a water pump is bad? Same for the pulleys?
Slack or roughness in the bearings -- coolant leaking from the weep hole on the pump

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok got an update. It was most definitely the water pump.All my pulleys seem fine. Got the new water pump in to the last bolt and snapped it off inside the block. I should of ordered new bolts. Another little set back! Gonna order some new bolts and the ELC coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Dang … how tight do the bolts need to be? Were they rusted thin?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just tightening it like all the others. It was just in bad shape and I should of just got new bolts I reckon.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Ok got an update. It was most definitely the water pump.All my pulleys seem fine. Got the new water pump in to the last bolt and snapped it off inside the block. I should of ordered new bolts. Another little set back! Gonna order some new bolts and the ELC coolant.
If you were running standard green coolant, do a few fill N drains with distilled water to get the green out before switching to ELC, best to pull the block plugs on the drains.. Red & Green don't play well together, also a good idea to label the degas bottle with the new coolant spec with warning not to mix.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Best to any flush in the warmer months so there is no possibility of freezing -- that way you can run plain water a few days to "wash out" the old coolant

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you were running standard green coolant, do a few fill N drains with distilled water to get the green out before switching to ELC, best to pull the block plugs on the drains.. Red & Green don't play well together, also a good idea to label the degas bottle with the new coolant spec with warning not to mix.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was running that standard green that it calls out in the owners manual. So I’m gonna do a flush and re put the green with additives, per the owners manual. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Best to any flush in the warmer months so there is no possibility of freezing -- that way you can run plain water a few days to "wash out" the old coolant

I live in Texas. It doesn’t get cold enough here to worry about that! Thanks though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the new water pump, hoses, and thermostat installed. Going through the flushing process now. Good to have her running again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts