Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else on here has had their 6.7 detonate. Mine went at 68,555 miles and wonderful Ford wants nothing to do with it. Ok I understand I am 2-2.5 months out of power train warranty but still send a rod out through the block in two places at 68,555 miles! Come on Ford! Their reason is because I was not the original owner of the truck. I bought it used with just under 12k miles on it and a year old. The best part is everyone talks this motor up and makes it out like it's "bulletproof". Well if you ask me it's a piece of ****! My 2009 F-450, ordered brand new, with the 6.4L had 78,000 miles on it when I traded for this one and I deleted everything and added a bunch of power to that truck. And the 6.4 is supposed to be junk. I can't exactly remember when I deleted it but I'm positive it went about 55k miles running 600 + hp and around 1000lbs torque with only a blown up pipe. This damn 2012 F450 throws a rod and its bone stock! Piece of ****. The best part is the only explanation the mechanics can give me is "a weak part that was bad the day the engine was built". Oh great makes me feel so special! So if any of you on here are getting close to running out of power train warranty and you bought the truck used either go buy an extend warranty or ditch the truck and get something else.

Congratulations Ford you just lost a loyal owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well let's see. This week I waited all week, well until today, to see if Ford was going to help me out with my blown engine(at 68555 miles btw) and found out today that nope not going to help. I am out of warranty by 2-2.5 months and the second owner of the truck. Had just under 12k miles on it and a year old when I traded my '09 450. That's their reason is I bought it used. So, this week I'm buying a new block, heads, and all internal parts for my 2012 F-450.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I've read about this all too much. When the time came to spend the bug bucks, I test drove a 6.7 platinum, but I bought a 6.7 Cummins.
Good luck man hope everything works out for you.

Reactions: ars5147

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well let's see. This week I waited all week, well until today, to see if Ford was going to help me out with my blown engine(at 68555 miles btw) and found out today that nope not going to help. I am out of warranty by 2-2.5 months and the second owner of the truck. Had just under 12k miles on it and a year old when I traded my '09 450. That's their reason is I bought it used. So, this week I'm buying a new block, heads, and all internal parts for my 2012 F-450.
They can't deny warranty cause it's used. Mine was used with 24k miles and still had warranty stuff done.

They can however get you on the 2-2.5 months out of date if they wanted to be sticklers.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
First time I've heard of a 6.7 throwing a rod..
Sucks but I'd file that in the **** happens category. Unfortunate timing tho

Reactions: HLBeef and lowmpg

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
That really sucks but agree with above post, this is rare even on a forum where 90% of the threads are crying about something. Sucks definitely to be the instance though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Are you looking to sell the truck with the blown motor???????????

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Suggest you call or send a letter to Ford's Customer Relations Center (1-800-392-3673). I've had to engage them before on quality/service issues and they've been helpful. I understand the frustration but suggest that you at least try to work with them.

Reactions: WD40

·
U.S. Army 68 - 71
237 Posts
Suggest you call or send a letter to Ford's Customer Relations Center (1-800-392-3673). I've had to engage them before on quality/service issues and they've been helpful. I understand the frustration but suggest that you at least try to work with them.
This is very good advice and also check your States lemon law requirements.

Reactions: WD40

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I called them. Nothing. Must be Fords SOP with used vehicles. The woman that took my call said yes I have seen this before. The one bright spot is that my dealer, well the service manager, is trying to help the best he can.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
This is very good advice and also check your States lemon law requirements.
On a vehicle that is over 5 years old with 68,000 miles? Not 1 state covers a 5 year old vehicle. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Yea I called them. Nothing. Must be Fords SOP with used vehicles. The woman that took my call said yes I have seen this before. The one bright spot is that my dealer, well the service manager, is trying to help the best he can.

Right or wrong.. you said a "loyal Ford customer" but reality is you didn't buy it new so "Ford" didn't make money off your vehicle purchase. I think this does play a big part into whether to help a customer or not.

Buying new goes straight to Ford's pockets, buying used does not (yes you can consider parts IF you do buy OEM parts but nothing compares to $10k profit off a new vehicle).

Would I expect Ford to make an exception for me who bought my 93, 98, 07, 11 and 15 all new over someone who bought my used Ford's?? Absolutely!!

I understand you bought your 6.4 new.. but I'm just throwing that out there.

Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: lowmpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only reason I bought this one used was because it was on the lot and not a single dealer in my area wanted to do any business with my 09. They all said the same thing "it will go straight to auction. We can't move anything that size". They all, went to every Ford dealer in CNY, must have been calling the same guy. He finally said tell the owner this is the best I'm going to do and it was under $30k. **** where I bought the 12 they gave me $34k for the thing. I don't want to hear the well you bought it used line. I tried to trade for a new truck multiple times but I am NOT going to give my truck away. My family had always been loyal ford owners. Between my parents and I we have bought new 87, 92, 95, 00, 03, 09. And out of those trucks all were diesel except the 87 and 03. So after this whole deal I'm fairly sure ford had lost my parents business along with mine. And everyone can say well you are not a loyal owner then I don't care. Bottom line is this should never have happened. Was at the dealership today and on the lift right next to mine was 6.7l with 289,000 + miles on it. Mechanic said "when I drained the oil it looked like tar, this guy beats the heck out of this thing. Your engine looked like it was brand new. You can tell this thing gets taken care of exceptionally well". Whatever.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
You can say "this shouldn't happen" to just about any failure you want to. Fact is, anything mechanical can break. I don't buy the "must have been defective from the factory". You got almost 70,000 miles on a defect that is more then 5 years old!!! Sorry but it is a failure, not a defect.. calling it what it is.

Sucks that it happened to you. You could have purchased an extended warranty as well. You gamble either way and you lost the gamble this round. Not trying to sound harsh.. but again.. calling it for what it is.

Reactions: lowmpg
1 - 18 of 18 Posts