Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BLOWING WHITE SMOKE- HELP

i Have a problem.. Maybe someone can help me figure this out.. Have a 04 6.0 F550.. Ran fine unti the other day when I noticed I was losing coolant.. Put a pressure tester on the cooling system and then hydrolocked the engine.. Turned over a couple of times, well it tried to and only turned a partial turn and the the starter broke ..literally broke the nose off.. figured I went alittle too far..i stopped..Removed the egr and found coolant in the intake.. Realizing from experience that the egr cooler was bad. I tore it apart and replaced cooler with a new ford cooler.. Reassembled, took out the glow plugs and blew out what I could and then turned it over until all seemed to be out.. Reinstalled the glow plugs and started the truck .. Ran fine, but smoked.. white smoke and alot of it.. Set the idle up at 1500 rpm and let it go for 5 - 10 min and at that point it wasnt smoking..seemed to clear up.. I let it sit for an hour or so and retried it and it was fine.. well then I finished putting all of the rest of the crap back on and restarted it it smoked again.. It will clear up, but only for a few moments or until I give it more fuel and then it starts to smoke again.. Problem is it doesnt smell like antifreeze and I'm not losing any coolant.. system seems to building and holding the proper amount of pressure .. doesnt seem to smell like fuel either.. But it is white and heavy...anyone have any ideas?? Also.. this is a fresh rebuild and for 3 days prior, there wasnt any smoke at all of any nature.. ran fine, just lost coolant.. didnt replace the cooler as it was pressure tested and appeared to be fine..stupid mistake Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
How long have you ran it for? You just may need to get the moisture out, depending on how much you pushed into the exhaust, should clear up in a short amount of time. Watch your coolant level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda what I was thinking, so I drove it home and it was smoking as bad if not worse than when it started..Truck ran at least an hour or so at work as well before i went home..will check this coolant level in the am:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts