Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 03 f350 6.0.the other day just started puking white smoke. put and egr delete in. still puking white smoke.the warm the motor gets the more it smokes.the smoke lingers for awhile and kinda has a sweet smell.any help would be nice.its my first diesel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the white smoke has a sweet smell, I would say it's burning coolant. I would look at a failed EGR cooler (unless a full EGR delete was done) or blown head gaskets. Another usual symptom is coolant puking from the coolant bottle. These chain of events are usually the result of a bad oil cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
white smoke

if the oil cooler is bad will it still pour out white smoke.i have an egr delete installed

·
Registered
5 Posts
if the oil cooler is bad will it still pour out white smoke.i have an egr delete installed
If your egr delete is installed then also take out the egr valve and check it to see if it is clogged and the valve is stuck open and the other case of your head gaskets so also check and see if your coolant resevior is leaking out the cap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Coolant flows through the oil cooler first to cool the engine oil before heading to the EGR cooler to cool the exhaust gases before being reintroduced into the intake via the EGR valve. If the oil cooler is clogged, coolant flow is restricted to the EGR cooler which can cause the EGR cooler to rupture or cause the head gaskets to fail. If you were seeing the white smoke prior to the EGR delete, then the damage had already occurred. The easiest way to see if the oil cooler is compromised is to use a scanner that can read the coolant temperature and oil temperature. If at normal operating temperature there is more than about 15 degree difference between the two, then it's time for an oil cooler. The head gaskets would still need to be checked. If the head gaskets have failed, then coolant is entering the combustion chamber. So yes you could still see white smoke with the EGR deleted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Help me out here, my engine keeps popping up cylinder 1 off balance and I've replaced the injector 3 times, my motor jars and rattles like crazy it seems like it misfires at idle and jars hard at cruising rpm's but when I hammer on it, it runs normal. Plus I'm leaking coolant out of the resevior and I know my turbo is bad but what else should I worry about? I'm sure it's head gaskets but should I worry about a piston melted or heads warped???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used a mac tool scanner, that belongs to a buddy of mine it did a cylinder test and everything was fine except cylinder 1 so I'm guessing my cylinder is off balance due to my head gasket but also most tuners are good about reading the codes but don't use wal mart or advanced autopart parts don't work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts