Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 05 with 54k miles on it now for only 4 months now and now it is overheating. The pattern seems to be white smoke/steam out the exhaust followed by overheating soon thereafter. Coolant level will be virtually empty, I fill up, and repeat the cycle a couple days later. I am not leaking any coolant to my knowledge.

Based on reading other threads, it sounds like I need a new egr cooler and oil cooler (this is my first diesel, so not exactly sure what or where those things are).

My questions are:

It sounds like this is a common issue. Am I going to have to do this again soon? Anybody know what a reasonable price to have this done by a professional? Is this something that a normal grease monkey who has always worked on his gasoline vehicle can do or is it something that is best left for someone with experience working on a diesel.

I am, seriously considering dumping this vehicle and going to another ford with the V10 or a diesel with Chevy or Dodge with all the issues I am learning about with this engine. Do you love your 6.0 Diesel despite all these known issues with virtually everything that I keep reading about?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket if you are blowing white smoke and then overheating. You're looking at a nasty repair bill. Might as well get the EGR delete done while you are at it.

Had a Mustang that blew a head gasket at around 150k and that is exactly what it would do.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It might be head gaskets, but the white smoke out the tail pipe sounds more like a failed EGR cooler. Park nose down, then in the morning remove the EGR valve to check for coolant. If it's wet in there, it is even more likely the EGR cooler. I'm under the impression that most head gaskets will puke coolant out of the degas bottle. Replacing the EGR cooler and oil cooler (which you should do too) isn't complicated. There really isn't much to remove, but accessing what you have to remove is time consuming. If it is your EGR cooler and since you have an 05, I would consider replacing your STC connector while your in there and replacing with a bulletproof EGR cooler which will be far more durable than the stock one (unless of course you decide to remove it entirely).

·
Registered
692 Posts
It might be head gaskets, but the white smoke out the tail pipe sounds more like a failed EGR cooler. Park nose down, then in the morning remove the EGR valve to check for coolant. If it's wet in there, it is even more likely the EGR cooler. I'm under the impression that most head gaskets will puke coolant out of the degas bottle. Replacing the EGR cooler and oil cooler (which you should do too) isn't complicated. There really isn't much to remove, but accessing what you have to remove is time consuming. If it is your EGR cooler and since you have an 05, I would consider replacing your STC connector while your in there and replacing with a bulletproof EGR cooler which will be far more durable than the stock one (unless of course you decide to remove it entirely).
:agree: I would plan on an entire weekend to do the job

1 - 6 of 6 Posts