Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck (6.0) is blowing white smoke at start up and when I stop and a red light or for any reason but usually clears up when i drive. I looked under the hood and could not find any oil deposits around the head gaskets, the only oil i can find is on my upper intercooler pipping boot. When I pulled the pipping off there was quite a bit of oil in the pipes. I know that the crankcase vents to the intake but it seems to be a bit much for "normal". Also it idles rough shakes the whole dern truck, any help would be awesome. I'm in the military and stationed overseas and will be leaving for Korea here before long (about a month) and my truck will not be coming with me, so getting parts is a little harder then just going down the street. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I think we are looking at several different things here.
1. The white smoke can be either or coolant or fuel issues. Oil being burnt is useually blue smoke depending on the quantity. Either of them can cause rough running.
2. The ccv system has a filter mounted on the drivers valve cover and is probably saturated, it can be cleaned out with solvent. It does not need to be a too much blowby situation simply over time accumulation. A simple test is run the engine with the oil fill cap off if your getting a lot of smoke and air blowing out you may have excessive crankcase pressure.
3. If it is burning coolant the smoke will be almost snow white and the cloud will end abruptly because the smoke is mostly steam, when it gets far enough away from the heat source it will condensate and the smoke just disappears.

Fuel will have a greyish tint and will drift around like any other smoke

Hope this helps some. Smoke diagnostics is difficult to do and imperfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the smoke sticks around for a while is is pretty unbearable to smell. I will continue to tear her down tomorrow to see what else I can discover, I plan on doing the CCV relocation to a oil catch can soon. hopefully tomorrow I will have a little more detail. thanks for the help, im sure there will be a lot more updates soon to come.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Let us know how your CCV relocation goes (pics if you can). I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
may i suggest adding 8 oz of rev x to your oil , i belive you are expirencing stiction of thee injectors in witch case the truck will normaly start kinda ruff for the first start of the day or if it sits awhile ...i was having the same symptoms as u and rev x cleared it up ...good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine from Innovative Diesel told me that it is the IPR and or the ICP so those will be on order soon. I have an 04 and I dont know if it is an early 04 or later model so that is holding me up, any info on how I could find that?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A late 04 will have the ICP sensor mounted in the passenger valve cover towards the front. An early 04 with an 03 engine will have nothing mounted in the valve cover because the ICP is mounted in the HPOP cover next to the IPR valve which is under the intake manifold and turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts