Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago I purchased a set of BD's intercooler / Turbo boots and clamps all has been great for 3 weeks but yesterday I had the boot blow off twice I ended up putting RTV inside the boot and then clamping it, as well as taking my programing back to stock. I know the stock clamps were known for this problem but was told BD's would solve that problem

Also I checked my records and I have only pushed 29psi of boost so I don't think that I am pushing to hard on the truck, the first time it happened i was in the middle of passing with 10k load on a uphill climb so I know I was pushing on it but nothing more than I used to do with the stock boots.

I should say the only real reason I changed them is the originals had almost 125k on them and I didn't want to have this problem on my camping trip to the UP a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Take the boots off again.
Clean the exterior of the metal that the boots seal to with a solvent (such as acetone).
Clean the interior of the boots. NO OIL should be present.
Raid the bathroom medicine cabinet and "borrow" the hairspray from the wife/girlfriend.
Spray the hairspray onto ONE side of the connection (whatever side blows off).
Wait a few seconds for the hairspray to become tacky, then reassemble. DO NOT tighten the clamps beyond the proper torque. You will just deform the metal and make the problem worse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, If I already sealed it up with Red RTV is it worth pulling apart or should I just leave well enough alone?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
which one are you blowing? a restricted cac can cause the hot side to blow excessively

1 - 5 of 5 Posts