Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 7.3L guy myself, but my dad has a 6.0L 4WD with a K&N cold box and a Magnaflow 4". He's running a Hypertech Power Programmer III and has been for years. His problem is recently when towing in hills with a fairly heavy load (37' 5th wheel camper) his truck will downshift. When this happens he starts blowing out coolant at an insane rate. He had a pressure test done on the cooling system and everything maintained pressure as it should. Any suggestions or places to look next woud be helpful. Thanks to all of you in advance.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
EGR cooler more than likely, or worse head gaskets. If it is still under warranty, have him return it to stock and have the local dealership check.

One quick thing to check, is some have bad coolant caps on the resivor bottle, $7 bucks at the dealer. Worth a shot.:thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Resivoir cap was checked and was not the problem. Hopefully not head gaskets!

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Hopefully not. I starting puking under loads, and it turned out to be my EGR cooler. Luckily, my friends at Ford decided to check the heads, and when they reinstalled them, they used the ARP headstuds for me.:thumb::D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dad's taking it to the dealership today. A conversation with their diesel mechanic lead us believe that the EGR is in fact the problem. Hopefully at the end of today this should be resolved. Thaks for the help DKR. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. The dealer did all of the normal test and it passed them all. It ended up being the head were warped and blew the gaskets. So while it was in I had the dealer install the studs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dad took her to the dealership. It was the head gaskets:(. She's going under the knife on Saturday. Please pray for us! Seriously, thanks for the input. It was a huge help.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Dad took her to the dealership. It was the head gaskets:(. She's going under the knife on Saturday. Please pray for us! Seriously, thanks for the input. It was a huge help.
Get it studded while it's under the knife!!! :nod:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Damn, hoping it wasn't the HGs. Still under warranty? See (never harm in asking) if they'll use ARP or equivilent headstuds when they put it back together.

And your welcome.:thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still under warranty! I already suggested to Dad that he request the head studs as you said you had done in one of your first posts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hopefully not. I starting puking under loads, and it turned out to be my EGR cooler. Luckily, my friends at Ford decided to check the heads, and when they reinstalled them, they used the ARP headstuds for me.:thumb::D

Same for me I get my truck back today with ARPs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just talked to Dad. He decided to do an EGR cooler bypass. I wholeheartedly agree. Anybody done this to their truck? What kind of benefits do you see (besides not having to worry about clogged EGR cooler anymore)?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm a 7.3L guy myself, but my dad has a 6.0L 4WD with a K&N cold box and a Magnaflow 4". He's running a Hypertech Power Programmer III and has been for years. His problem is recently when towing in hills with a fairly heavy load (37' 5th wheel camper) his truck will downshift. When this happens he starts blowing out coolant at an insane rate. He had a pressure test done on the cooling system and everything maintained pressure as it should. Any suggestions or places to look next woud be helpful. Thanks to all of you in advance.
Where do these truck usually start blowing the coolant from?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Where do these truck usually start blowing the coolant from?:dunno:
Right out of the cap on the coolant overflow (degas) bottle.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Just talked to Dad. He decided to do an EGR cooler bypass. I wholeheartedly agree. Anybody done this to their truck? What kind of benefits do you see (besides not having to worry about clogged EGR cooler anymore)?
I know of it being done. It will eliminate the bum cooler problems. You can also just block the pipe if you don't go the whole route of removing it and then having to make up a bypass to the oil cooler.:thumb:

Right out of the cap on the coolant overflow (degas) bottle.
Yup yup, and all over my hood, master cyclinder, front right spring...etc.:doh::hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys;
I am babyrangatang's dad. Started having coolant blowing problems at 27k miles. Had it checked by 3 different dealers in 2 states. All they ever checked was coolant pressure. They NEVER went past the radiator. Today at 42k miles I have a leaking headgasket. Think it might have started earlier???? Not one of those swingin' ---- WANTED to take it any further. Great PR Ford!!! So, if you are blowing coolant get it checked now and DON'T let them stop at the radiator. Hope to save you heartache. Thanks to all the guys that sent in help. You save me from going thru the mountains with a bad gasket.

WOLVERINE!!!!!!!!!!

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out before the mountain trip.:thumb:

Unfortunatly, there are as many "bad" shops as good ones. Some dealerships just don't know, or ignore the quirks and special needs of our diesels.:dunno: They see coolant, and they just don't have the knowledge to go beyond the coolant system.:doh:

With new heads, headstuds, and either blocking the EGR cooler or the bypass...you'll have a strong running rig for awhile to come.

And :ORG welcome:...hope you enjoy it here and post up if you have any other questions or info for us.:nod:

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
+1 with DKR. I also had gasket issues and feel better with head studs and EGR bypass.
Extra Insurance for sure!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
x3 on that. I had the exact same problems and now that I have some insight from this forum, my truck is running solid!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts