Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
33,010 Posts
it should hold more psi than the head gaskets can pump into the system before catastrophic failure

i have cheap spring clamps on my Degas hoses and I have bad head gaskets and can see 22 psi ;-) have for years never lost a coolant hose

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
You did see the blue color -- Sinister products have not been known for quality control -- the crimp is just not tight enough -- the same type of crimp is used on air hoses mostly with no problems

·
Administrator
33,010 Posts
I don't care is NASA uses brass crimps it still is not what I would choose for materials even if I was going to use a crimp brass is soft it can't help it,,, it was raised that way

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
It is more about the thickness and type of brass used -- PEX pipe uses a copper crimp sleeve on some types
Really surprised they didn't use a plastic sleeve - LoL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What about oil just in the coolant ? I drained the oil and found zero water. I’m about to pull the trigger on bpd oil cooler but something tells me it should be a lot worse then just a bit of oil in the degas bottle (just on top around the edge of the tank)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What about oil just in the coolant ? I drained the oil and found zero water. I’m about to pull the trigger on bpd oil cooler but something tells me it should be a lot worse then just a bit of oil in the degas bottle (just on top around the edge of the tank)
wouldn’t it be obvious If it was a head gasket ?

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
"usually" a busted oil cooler will put a lot of oil in the coolant -- but I have seen them seep before the break

Couple of methods to check for head gaskets
one is to tee in a pressure gauge in the degass bottle (the small vent tubes)
the other is to rig up a stopper for the degas bottle -- connect a clear hose - and put the end in a clear bottle half full of water

Both methods, you are looking for pressure buildup - and both need to be air tight on the degass fittings and cap
the first you would watch for a sharp rise in pressure on the gauge - when the engine is loaded (brake torque, or WOT run)
the second you look for a constant stream of bubbles in the water bottle

Reactions: Erkallan1

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well today I found the water in my oil pan. It’s not a milk shack …. Yet. So I’m going to assume head gasket or cracked head. I just hope it’s not the block. I’m going to order kill devil diesel heads with there stage 1 cam. Does anyone have experience with that?

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I think find the problem before spending any more on the truck

Engine out and on a stand -- tear it down until the problem is found -- then decide on a course of action

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think find the problem before spending any more on the truck

Engine out and on a stand -- tear it down until the problem is found -- then decide on a course of action
Yea I just wish this wasn’t my only vehicle and the shops are booked up at least 2 weeks right now plus the lead time from kdd. I know I shouldn’t assume what’s wrong with the truck. It drives totally normal doesn’t smoke or miss…. Nothing. Only if I really load it up do the fluids mix.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Sounds like you need to get a beater to drive while you figure what is wrong with the truck

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had a small amount of oil in my degas bottle for about 8 months.Also have coolant filter. No other issues. No coolant in my last oil change. Was it super obvious that coolant was in your oil? Like milky or what? Did you take any pics? Keep me posted on what you find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have had a small amount of oil in my degas bottle for about 8 months.Also have coolant filter. No other issues. No coolant in my last oil change. Was it super obvious that coolant was in your oil? Like milky or what? Did you take any pics? Keep me posted on what you find.
It was not obvious at all. I ended up draining some into a water bottle and could only see small droplets. At first I didn’t see it. It is getting worse tho. This has been going on for a while I had like a foamy oil build up in the degas bottle and I kept blowing coolant filter lines. The truck runs great I never even though about a head gasket. I would say I have had this problem for a year or so and only now did it become prominent enough for me to notice

21 - 40 of 48 Posts