Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting up or driving down highway my '03' ford F250 Diesel will kick out black smoke. I can shut it off and restart and it will quit sometimes. Can anyone tell me what may be causing this? This is the codes the computer on the engine kicks out VO 420 & P100 OBD Reset (DL). It has about 80,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Probly needs an egr cleaning, drive it hard for a bit and it may clear itself out. This is a 6.0 right?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Black smoke? Cool!

:hehe:

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
If it is P0420 code is Catalytic Converter System - Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1):dunno: I'd say run the snot out of it! may be EGR valve?
They clean pretty easy. Hopefully you will get a tech chime in

FREE:bump:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pull the egr valve & see if theres alot of either wet or gummy carbon it the port. Take a flashlite & shine it up through the inner portion of the lower valve of the egr valve & see if you see any daylite through it. Replace the valve w/ the updated valve. If the ports are minimal then just clean the egr valve. If the ports are all gummy looking then you have a severe coking concern & I would recomend having the intake removed & either replaced or cleaned (real good)!!. Look & see if theres any oil leaking from the lower L. hand rear of eng. If its leaking there, then the ICP sensor is leaking internally & needs to be replaced & the connector cleaned w/ electrical contact cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts