Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blower Control Module (Blower Resistor) Replacement DIY - 2013 F350 XLT XTR

I tried searching for information but I couldn't find much on how to replace the blower control module without have to disconnect the AC or heater/radiator hoses. Below is an explanation on how to do it in your garage.

Purchase the workshop service manual from motorcraftservice website. A 72 hour subscription is 22$ and you can print the pages to PDF and keep them for future use. Also print/PDF any other information you may need so that you don’t have to re-purchase the workshop service manual. It was under 412-01 Climate Control – Blower Motor Speed Control. From there it will link you to all the relevant sections. There are also some good exploded views that you should have handy.

I will describe what you need to do in general, and how they are different from the service manual but the details will be in the service manual.

You need to do the following:

1. De-energize air bag.

2. Remove the dashboard, the manual calls it the ‘instrument panel’. Follow the manual except for the following:

a. Do not remove the steering wheel or air bag.

b. Do not remove the shifter lever or boot. The boot can more rolled out of the way. You only need to remove the bottom steering column trim panel, the top can stay.

c. I think the manual says to remove these items if you are taking it out of the cabin? Just put the seats back and lean them all the way back and place the dashboard on the seats. This may be more difficult if you have bucket seats with a center console. You may want to put some boxes in the seats to rest the dashboard on it to protect your center console. Also protect your seats with cardboard or something. See my pictures below for what the dashboard will look like.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=561665&thumb=1

d. Don’t forget to disconnect any aftermarket electrical accessories, like dashcams or lights.

e. I only had 2 electrical connectors on the driver’s side, the service manual said 3.

f. I had an extra electrical connector on my passenger side that the service manual did not mention.

g. TIPS: It takes 2 people to remove the dash and place it on the seats, do this very slowly in case you missed an electrical connection. You really don’t want to damage a 24 pin connector.

3. See the picture below for what the truck will look like after the dashboard is out.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=561673&thumb=1

4. You don’t need to remove the ‘heater core and evaporator core housing’ to access the blower control module. Removal of the core requires the heater core to be drained and the AC to be de-pressurized.

5. You don’t need to remove the passenger inner wheel well.

6. You need to loosen all the bolts of the ‘heater core and evaporator core housing’, this will give you enough wiggle room to remove the blower control module.

7. There is one bolt and one nut on the inside of the truck, that is the easy part.

8. There are 3 nuts and one bolt on the fire wall of the engine bay that are a pain. The nut behind the battery is accessible with a U-joint and an extension. You will need to remove the battery and the 3 electrical connections. The battery should already be disconnected when you de-energized the air bags. The bolt and nut that are in the middle are “easily” accessible from the bottom of the truck. The nut on the fire wall that is closest to the driver is a pain, I got to it by jamming my hand in there, it might be accessible from the bottom.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=561681&thumb=1

9. You should now have enough wiggle room to move the HVAC core a bit. Disconnect the cable from the bottom of the core. Be careful not to move the core too much, since the AC is still connected. The blower control module needs to be slid to the drivers side to unlock it. Then pull it towards the fire wall and rotate it, it should now be free to drop it down the back.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=561689&thumb=1

10. Now is a good time to inspect and vacuum out any dust. You can easily remove the electric heater core and inspect for dust and blockage.

11. Installation is backwards.

12. Torque all the bolts down to specification, remember the air bags are attached to the dashboard and these are safety items. Also the manual recommends buying a new bolt for the steering wheel coupling.

13. I did this in my garage in one day including breaks, beer and checking fluids on all my vehicles.

14. Removing the dashboard was easier than the bolts in the engine bay.

Hope this helps, its easily done with basic hand tools. Just read and understand the service manual and keep in mind my changes above. Its pretty easy in hindsight.

Note: Your truck may be different, the above is information only. Use at your own risk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Do you have pictures of the blower resistor location?
It is not a resister pack as it use to be in the older vehicles. It is basically a FET transistor that varies the voltage to the blower motor.

The blower control module is on the back side of the HVAC box next to the firewall.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts