Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my 02 7.3s blow by using a ping pong ball about a month ago and it literally seemed to have none, the ball hardly moved and very little steam, fully warmed, around 205 eot, out of curiosity I checked it again today with eot at around the same and it seems to have more steam and the ball bounces just a bit more, nothing has changed other then that, other than a air filter change, and probably 2 oil changes since then using rotella T6, motorcraft filter etc, closing in on 260,000, runs excellent, no oil consumption, my question is can blow by fluctuate?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I checked my 02 7.3s blow by using a ping pong ball about a month ago and it literally seemed to have none, the ball hardly moved and very little steam, fully warmed, around 205 eot, out of curiosity I checked it again today with eot at around the same and it seems to have more steam and the ball bounces just a bit more, nothing has changed other then that, other than a air filter change, and probably 2 oil changes since then using rotella T6, motorcraft filter etc, closing in on 260,000, runs excellent, no oil consumption, my question is can blow by fluctuate?
Like how much fluctuations are you talking here? Just a little or alot? Is it puffing or just some smoke coming out?

Oddly enough I looked at a 2017 6.7 with 90k miles and it had more blowby than my 2001 7.3 with 230k miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like how much fluctuations are you talking here? Just a little or alot? Is it puffing or just some smoke coming out?

Oddly enough I looked at a 2017 6.7 with 90k miles and it had more blowby than my 2001 7.3 with 230k miles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not puffing just a bit more steam it seems

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Yes blow by can fluctuate.A ping pong ball is not the traditional test from my experience either. (who just carries a ping pong ball when truck shopping???) Most flip the oil fill cap upside down and set it on the fill tube. It may vibrate off but as long as the pressure isn't shooting it in the air the truck is most likely fine. Personally your truck is totally fine from what you describe. All trucks have blow by and a 20+ diesel is going to have more than average.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What you DON'T want to see is a single cylinder 'puff-puff-puff' stronger than the steady stream of vapor. This indicates piston/ring damage in a single cylinder. Will usually be accompanied by a miss at the tail pipe, and an unsteady cranking rhythm.

Different engines have varying degrees of blow-by, particularly at idle. As long as the vapor is steady, and the exhaust note is smooth, you're probably Ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts