Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up Everybody, I'm another new guy in a bit of an awkward situation with my Ford Truck. After buying my dream truck- (a 1995 Ford F250 single cab with a straight axle front end conversion) I took it to get regular maintenance to my Diesel mechanic. He told me the truck was in great shape except for the BLOW BY- light white smoke puffing from the engine oil cap and dip stick. He told me this is a sign of a worn motor and worn cylinders letting smoke travel around them which should otherwise be sealed. He said It would be best to sell it while i still had the chance. Keeping it he said would mean that I would eventually have to either replace the engine or do the overhaul on it. Ive read several forums and have done the cap test several times, and although many people on forums say its normal, Ive heard several powerstroke mechanics including the one from powerstroke help say that it is a sign of a problem. My question is who do i believe? I dont want to get rid of the truck, but i cant afford an engine rebuild or new engine. that is unless i do it myself and i dont know if i have the knowledge to do that without messing something up. PLease help, anything helps at this point. Frustration is an understatement. Thanks

This is where i heard the same thing the mechanic told me. its within the first minute.

Broken Engine Module... 7.3 Liter Powerstroke Diesel Critical Knowledge Video Series - POWERSTROKEHELP.COM

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
What does the cap do when you flip it over while it's running?
If your real worried about it get a compression test

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Everyone has blow by to some degree. I still get 22mpg on hwy and no problem towing. When it can no longer be efficient then it is time for a rebuild. Compression test, send oil off for analysis, check mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I did do the cap test, and the cap sat there without moving. What I had planned to do is replace the IDM, valve cover seals, glow plugs, and injector #7 which is the diagnostic that was given to me at the dealer when they did the compression test a couple months back. but I wanted to do it myself to save money. Now the thing is, because I have blow by, is it worth it to do all that work on an engine that's may need a rebuild? seeng as most people have some sort of blow by, how do you know when it's time for a rebuild? is there a way to prevent or replenish blow by? what should I do first?

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
All these trucks have some sort of blow by. Mine does the same thing. Drive it and let it be. What did the compression test show. Post up the numbers.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on changing out a bad injector, changing the injector o-rings, valve cover seal and wire harnesses along with all the filters and stuff but I want to know, is it worth it to do all that to an engine with blow by?

·
Registered
334 Posts
If the dealer just told you #7 is bad and didn't give you any numbers then I do not trust them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lol Bill is the same guy that will tell you to drain all the oil out of your hpop reservoir because some of it never gets used and put fresh oil in during an oil change.

·
Registered
56 Posts
HI, same issue with smoke, light not crazy....cap doesn't seem to move from smoke, more from shaking of the truck :), compression check complete numbers are....1 - 8 = 400, 380, 400, 400, 390, 400, 400 & 390. One thing I do notice is mileage is crap....could be my driving, also have 315's on the truck 1997 4x4 F350 CCLB. Mileage is around 13-15 and 10-11mpg towing 6000# worth of boat and gear. Any cause for alarm....?

Thank you,
Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you, always open to suggestions regarding mods. I am about due for some new tires, may take it down a bit size wise. Appreciate your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.