Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few threads about some rigs puffin white smoke on start,possible injector issues, possible GP issues etc. I noticed yesterday (coldest day since I've owned my truck, a balmy 55 deg) that mine was doing the same. Starts great but there was smoke.

So i decided to try some advice of plugging her in. I was going to set the timer but couldn't find it. I plugged her in around 8pm and went to start her up at 6am.

I'm not sure if I'm expecting more than i should. There were no signs it had been plugged all night. Started normal. No smoke this time. But the temp gauge wasn't off cold. Heater was cold. I was under the impression that it would've warm. Maybe not to operating temp but atleast showing something?

If it is, is there a way to pos check it other than just plugging it in? Am i misinformed on the effects?

Thanks
vandy

·
Registered
496 Posts
if the truck was plugged in all night, its not gonna be at "operating" temp when you start it. it should however, warm up alot quicker, and if you throw your heat on, it should be blowing warm air , not hot, but not cold.

in cold conditions, it should crank alot easier when the heater was left on. USUALLY 2-3 hours is about all you need. the heater itself is 1000 watts i think, so that may not be something you wanna leave plugged in and running all nite.

im will ASSUME, that the easiest way to make sure its working is just to check for conductivinty (is that a word?) with a meter. id assume it either works or it doesnt. the heater itself sits in the block through a freeze plug i belive, and it warms the coolant, which is why you should show some signs of warm air if your turn the heat on.

also - a bit of white smoke is pretty normal during start up in the cold.

edit - the heater, really, should only be NEEDED when the temp reaches sub zero outside. if you do find that yours is not working, or just want something a little easier on the energy use, you can replace it with a magnetic heater that sticks onto the oil pan, that will warm the oil instead, using only about 1/3 or 1/2 the electric.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You'll hear the block heater working when you plug it in, if you listen close. If not, just feel the block up around where the heater goes in the oil cooler. When mine's running, it warms the truck up to the low part of the normal range.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The 7.3 has a block heater right above where the oil filter screws on it's not in a freeze plug test it with a meter or even use the old fashion drop light with a plug to plug the heater on while the light is working if the heater works you'll see the drop light dime some plus when it's plugged in you can touch the side of the engine block and feel it beening warm, I've had to replace the plug head before and I've replaced cord and element ether way an easy job drain and replace the coolant and screw the new heater in very easy hope that helps

·
Registered
496 Posts
yea i had to replace the head on the plug more than once. i got really tired of dealing with it again, since its such a flimmsy cord, that i finally went to home depot and bought a replacement cord that was much more heavy duty.. i just spliced it into the old one under the truck. no more issues. if you ever need to replace it , i would suggest the same thing.. the cord, and plug for my block heater is now about the size and strenght of an outdoor extension cord.. the old one is too thin for the amount of handeling and abuse it goes through.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can also but the whole replacement plug cord on eBay cheap less chance of shorten out and catching fire.... Peace of mind

1 - 6 of 6 Posts