Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Illinois and bought a Georgia 18' F250 that has no block heater. Its definitely a necessity where I live. So I was curious to see what everyone else is using. Most often I opt for OEM parts but vaguely remember reading somewhere that it has been known to start fires. Can anyone confirm that? Any recommendations?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It was just the cord because it was a 2 piece design. There is a new revised 1 piece cord that will be fine. If I remember correctly all the new trucks just don't have them in there without a cord anymore, so you would have to buy the element as well. Should be a hole on the side of the passenger side block that will thread out for you to insert the element, then just route the cable to the bumper.

Go with OEM.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
And for those, like me, that got the recall notice on those cords only to find that their temporary fix was to cut the cords, the replacements are now in/available. Got my notice to schedule a time to bring her back to get it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Where in Illinois are you? Are you sure a block heater is necessary. If everything is working properly i wouldn't think you wouldn't need one. I never plugged in my old 7.3 when it sat outside at night in teens and had no issue. The 6.7 is way better on cold starts vs the 7.3. The 6.7 i have now has never had an issue but it is only outside during the day here so it gets the daytime warmth when i go to start it after work. Here in utah in the winter the low is on average in the high teen's and 30's for a high.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I use it here in Oklahoma on the really cold nights. Not so much for the easy starting as it doesn't get that cold here. But it sure helps the heater work quicker.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 6.0l never seemed to need it technically but she was happier. That truck was awnry until she got warmed up. The new one acts more like a gasser, turn and burn.

I'm out in the country about 65 miles south west of Chicago. Its not garaged and I'm on call at night so i like to have it ready to go. I work in maintenance so it's not like someones life it at stake. But it sure makes for a crappy day when you're pulled out of bed in the middle of the night AND your truck won't start. During Feb i work 12 hr nights without a plug in. That's our worst temps typically so i just ensure I've got plenty of antigell and hope for the best.

There is no cable up front but I'll take another look at the block to verify there's no element there that had the cable cut like mentioned before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I been a bit busy lately but would like to prioritise this project now that we are getting colder weather

Does anyone have the most current part number for this?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
You might have to call dealer for the PN as they have had several revisions over last year due to the recalls.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the newest rev heater being delivered today but forgot about sealant. What should I be using on these threads?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Teflon tape will work fine

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
That sucks, I ordered my 19 with a block heater. My 6.0 is currently sitting outside plugged in. I have a heavy duty timer on it so it only clicks on 2 hours before I fire it up. I usually start plugging things in when the temp drops below 10 above. They just start and sound so much better. The worst I have seen is -39f ambient air last winter. My 6.0 was not happy!!!!!!!! It did start but I did crack my thermostat housing at those temps. 50/50 propylene is not rated for that cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts