Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, this is my first non introduction post.

I was wondering if this plug is for my block heater and if so, does anyone know where I can get the other end plug. The ford ones I've seen online are orange and they look totally different. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody seen one before?

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's the cord for the block heater, my guess is Ford put it there to replace the male plug end if it was damaged. If you trace it back it should go into the heater element right over the starter. I don't know if Ford sells them seperate from the whole assembly (major $$$$) but your local Ford dealer might be able to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna double check with the dealer but from what I gather, I'm gonna have to splice into the connector or replace it altogether. kind of strange for ford to not make a direct connect for it but they've done stranger things. At least I'm sure of what it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Where is the end your holding located....my rig has a block heater but have no clue where the cord is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right side frame rail behind the front bumper. If yours is orange or different than mine, then it should be plug and play. On my original invoice there was a charge for a block heater so i dont see why i need to buy another one but w/e.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Is this a Canadian thing?

CIPO - Patent - 1305748

I see these folks listed:

PHILLIPS & TEMRO INDUSTRIES LTD.

Make the block heaters for Ford from what I have read. (By the way, I thought KATS did, I was wrong)

I would still trace it back before plugging it in

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Where is the end your holding located....my rig has a block heater but have no clue where the cord is.
Feel above your starter. That is where the block heater is. If there isn't a cord, you can pick one up. If there is a cord, look real real close behind the bumper passenger side. They zip tied those things in there real good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Feel above your starter. That is where the block heater is. If there isn't a cord, you can pick one up. If there is a cord, look real real close behind the bumper passenger side. They zip tied those things in there real good.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AM nice find! My truck was delivered to Maryland so I don't think it's a Canadian thing or maybe mine was a mix up :dunno: I'm just gonna buy a cheapy plug to replace that end.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I looked for a long time even had my other SPD buddy's looking under my truck and one day I was washing the truck and look at the tow hooks on the right side hook it was zip tied above the hook the hole time and the day before the ford dealer told me my truck did come with a block heater...
I noticed that last time it was pluged n it got down to about 20 maybe little colder and the temp really wasn't showing on the temp gadge should it be nice and worm or just above the cold line?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i just bought an 06 f350 dually , I live in Northeast, and it doesn't have the cord , I went to ford and they want $150 , I figure i am going to buy on online but i do not know the cord i need to plug in, size part #? MM i read its 1500 watt , does NAPA or advanced auto carry a replacement?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think that a lot of guys on here would tell you to call up Tousley Ford for the part at a discounted rate. I don't have any personal experience with them but lots of guys talk well of them here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just bought an 06 f350 dually , I live in Northeast, and it doesn't have the cord , I went to ford and they want $150 , I figure i am going to buy on online but i do not know the cord i need to plug in, size part #? MM i read its 1500 watt , does NAPA or advanced auto carry a replacement?
Napa carries the zero start brand, it's not set up like the factory one to run it in all the same spots but it works. Just put one on mine yesterday

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speaking of block heaters, I really wish they would also trickle charge the batteries.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I just replaced my factory block heater. From teh plug behind teh tow hook, the cord is about 18 inches long when you get to the connector in your photo. Then that simply plugs into another cord that goes to the block heater. Plan on about 20 minutes getting the cord out from all the zip ties and tight routing under the engine mount. I did mine when I had the starter out....that would make it so much easier.

A new block heater comes with a cord.....I bought one at NAPA, around $45; It came with a solid screw on connection at the end of the cord that attaches to the block heater; The factory one was sort of a cheap style with 2 bent over taps engaging the threads.

You can either:
A. Replace the whole thing for cheaper than the dealer...which doesn't have that funky connection in the photo. Solid wire from heater to the plug.
or...
B. Splice on a 3 prong plug, which would be super easy. I wouldn't go for one from Home Depot or Lowes, where they sell the generic plugs to splice on the end of some wire. I would get an existing extension cord, maybe buy one from Home Depot or Lowes, just the shortest they have, and cut the plug off it, leaving about 18" of cord......and splice/heat shrink tube where you splice. That will leave you with a presentable, professional plug end. Leave more length, and select your own spot to have it. I have mine routed above the bumper for convenience in the winter. In the summer, I tuck it back down behind the tow hook with a zip tie.

I've seen guys locate them at the rear of the truck, or on the side step bracket underneath for whatever reason.....where the plug is located where they park, or they back in their driveway, etc, etc. It draws 1500 watts, so it you go to the rear bumper, use a heavier cord.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Speaking of block heaters, I really wish they would also trickle charge the batteries.
Easy. Just splice in a small trickle charger to teh block heater cable, wire to battery. They are small enough units it can easily mount near the passenger side battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone, this is my first non introduction post.

I was wondering if this plug is for my block heater and if so, does anyone know where I can get the other end plug. The ford ones I've seen online are orange and they look totally different. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps you've figured this out already, but you need the pigtail that converts this to an AC plug. Part No is 5C3Z-6B019-A. My plug has a bad connection and I just bought one to replace it, but I haven't been able to get it apart yet! The pigtail is about a foot long and plugs into this flat connector.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts