Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. It's been getting cold here lately so I plugged the truck in. Went out this morning and the wire going into the plug was really hot. The plug on it has been changed and the ground is wiggly. Can this contribute by not making a good connection, thus more resistance equalling heat? Should I just replace it with an OEM line? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx

·
Administrator
32,970 Posts
it is a heating element it uses the neutral and the hot only in this application
the ground is a safety feature only it could be severed, and the element would operate fine ..

that being said if the ground is " wiggly the others may be suspect and causing the issue ,, or you may have a extension cord that's not up to the task

these elements are about 1000watts so under 9 amps = any standard household circuit ( 15-20 amp) should handle this if not already taking a large load

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
A 16 gauge extension cord is just not gonna do it -- not enough voltage out the end with that 1000 watt load -- when the voltage goes down the current draw goes up

Take your volt meter and test the voltage at the extension cord plug -- then plug in the heater (leave the flat contacts exposed enough to get the meter leads on) -- bet you see quite a voltage drop

Dont get bit -- safety first and all that stuff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The extension cord is a 20' 14 ga and it's fine. I will do some testing tomorrow and change out the plug. Does anyone know where I might find a plug with a cap to protect the prongs during the summer months? Not looking to swap out the original cord with a new one but I will if need be. Thx

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
The extension cord is a 20' 14 ga and it's fine. I will do some testing tomorrow and change out the plug. Does anyone know where I might find a plug with a cap to protect the prongs during the summer months? Not looking to swap out the original cord with a new one but I will if need be. Thx
If that's the original cord and heating element then it is time to replace it. That's the problem there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts