Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought the OEM Block Heater Plug looked pretty Cheezy on a $62k truck. I purchased one of these for my battery charger outlet for my Cobalt boat. So I decided to try and install one for the Block Heater on my new KR. Takes less than 30 minutes to install and bought the Plug on Amazon.com and was about $18. It is made by Marinco and they are designed for wet conditions so should work well and last for years. Took some photos of install. Easy Peasy, not so Cheezy!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, here's a photo of the factory plug I pulled through the cut hole in bumper. Here is a pic from an EBay photo I found. It has a rubber sleeve that keeps it water-tight.

Search this on Amazon.com

Marinco 150BBI Marine On-Board Charger Inlet (15-Amp, 125-Volt, Black)
by Marinco

4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (34 customer reviews)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $24.99
Price: $16.99 Eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.
Deal Price:
You Save: $8.00 (32%)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's awesome, great job! I was considering something similar but wanted an auto eject like we have on our fire apparatus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ebay Link shows more pics however Amazon is new in box with all hardware and instructions.

Search this title on EBay;

MARINCO 15A/125VAC Twist-Lock , Shore Power, Waterproof Panel Mount Plug

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Ebay Link shows more pics however Amazon is new in box with all hardware and instructions.

Search this title on EBay;

MARINCO 15A/125VAC Twist-Lock , Shore Power, Waterproof Panel Mount Plug
I like their 30 amp stainless steel one because it has an actual metal hinge. I don't know how many times that plastic one will bend without cracking in our -35C winters.

·
Administrator
29,124 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another option is to use the spring loaded one off of a 13+ fusion. They are black plastic but are spring loaded to close. My wife's car has one. Been debating putting one on my truck but can't fine the part number anywhere?!?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
good idea but id be worried about the bumper rusting now. I dont mind the factory plug. does a good job keeping water out and i like it hidden for the summer months

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rust is what I would be concerned about too. It's a clean factory look, but as soon as you drill into any metal, it invites rust. I am going to look for a plastic area so I can do this Mod.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can get the auto eject, they are pricey though. Maybe you can pull one from a retired unit. Also, they only come in yellow... New is about 100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
They had two listed on the website I posted and both were around or above $200.

·
Administrator
29,124 Posts
place your cord right and secure it to the house or whatever ( my garage door holds mine ) and back out in the Morning but forget to unplug and the cord will auto eject from the Marinco plug for no extra $$$:rofl:

·
Registered
132 Posts
The rust is what I would be concerned about too. It's a clean factory look, but as soon as you drill into any metal, it invites rust. I am going to look for a plastic area so I can do this Mod.
Did the Marinco Mod a few years back on my '01 Platinum. Worked great. Cost about $25.00.

·
Registered
70 Posts
thats what we call the "Marinco Mod" the cover should last a long time I have had mine for years in the AZ sun and one on my boat also but I chose the lower black valance for mine so it is not noticeable

it will unplug if you position the extension cord right and back away in the morning LOL
Marinco mod link TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com
i'll bet it sure helps starting the truck on those cold dessert nights.LOL. just being a smarta$$.i used to live in gilbert,right next door to chandler.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts