Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a block check test kit. Want to check every option I can that my HGs are done. I only get coolant blow out and rapid temp increases pulling a load..
(No EGR cooler and new oil cooler installed)

Anyways...... I used the test kit and the fluid turned green, not yellowish-green, just green. Then the sucking bulb stayed "squeezed" indicating a good vacum.

Using common sense, I'm guessing that indicates a small amount of combustable gases present. ie yellow and blue make green.

Has anyone used the kit and had good results? I performed the test 3 times, same results. Went from blue to solid green after about 10 pumps on the bulb.

Any info would be great.. Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have used it, and yes with a positive result for carbon monoxide the fluid looks green on a diesel rather than yellow. Considering you are able to pull and hold a vacuum on the system, I would think you have a head gasket that only leaks when under heavy load like towing. You pulled out some of the CO that was dissolved in the coolant, but with a vacuum holding it is not currently leaking at idle.

MikeB

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Just some added info:

Be shure your useing the proper test fluid, the one for diesel. The Gasoline fluid on a diesel will give a false reading.

The test should be run after the truck has reached full operateing temps. Not on a cold engine. On a cold engine you will give yourself a false reading because most of the gases will have escaped or settled out.

I agree with MikeB 100%

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... It does say it's for diesels. My truck was at operating temps. I did it on a buddy's 7.3 and the fluid stayed blue.

My issue occurs only when under load so I figure it only leaks during that time. I did stick it in the tail pipe after the test and the fluid turned bright yellow quickly, just to see if the fluid works. So I'm pretty convinced my HGs are done.. :( Just so happens I have 2 trips planned with my 5th wheel and mud buggy within a month.. Timing sucks..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts