Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the road in my 03 f250 6.0 4x4 and I heard a club and my tow haul light is now blinking. It also seems to be stuck in a high gear. The idea RPMs are now around 800 rpm. I was able to get it home and now in the driveway it will not start. I found codes p0707 and p0706. It acts like I'm trying to start it while it in gear. everything come on except the engine. It does not turn over but I do get the injector buzz. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
16 Posts
706/707 are codes for the Transmission Range Sensor. You need to verify whether your truck has the 5 speed Torqshift, or the 4 speed. The 4 speed, the sensor is external to the transmission and very easy to change. The 5 speed, the sensor is internal. You have to drain the fluid and drop the pan to get to it. It requires roll pins to be removed and replaced. A major PITA job.

The other thing I will tell you, is if you have the Torqshift, when you drop the pan, go ahead and replace the internal wiring harness now. You have to drop the valve body to get to it. But it too goes bad, and this is the time to replace. The harness is $130, the Sensor is $150, the fluid is $200 and the valve body gasket is $20. Versus the 4 speed, the sensor is $120 total. Nice, huh?

I am dealing with this very repair currently. One thing to VERIFY before you proceed. On your PCM, the connector nearest the front bumper, remove the connector plug. Take a voltage reading of pin 1 at the PCM with the key ON. You need 12v there. That code 706/707 will surface and point at the Trans Sensor, but, it is my current experience that the code can be the result of other issues. Eliminate those issues first, as you may spend $$$ and still have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
You need to verify whether your truck has the 5 speed Torqshift, or the 4 speed. The 4 speed, the sensor is external to the transmission and very easy to change. The 5 speed, the sensor is internal. You have to drain the fluid and drop the pan to get to it. It requires roll pins to be removed and replaced. A major PITA job.
All auto 6.0s have the 5r110 the 4r100 ended with the 7.3

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh i see i was thinking he was talking a manual 4 speed but those are not even 4 speed lol

the op list a 6.0 with 4r100 in his bio but we all know that's not a possibility
Actually, I hate to disagree with you, but not all 6.0Ls had the 5 speed. Only the "late" model '04s and up did. My neighbor has an '03 6.0L with a 4R100 in it. There are several trucks at work (fleet vehicles) with 6.0s and 4R100s as well.

·
Administrator
29,363 Posts
sorry to do this
but you can try all you want no one here will agree with you on that point even the Engineer that worked on these confirmed there is no such thing as a 4r behind a 6.0

never happened the only thing that confuses folks is the 03 model had both the 7.3 and 6.0

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Actually, I hate to disagree with you, but not all 6.0Ls had the 5 speed. Only the "late" model '04s and up did. My neighbor has an '03 6.0L with a 4R100 in it. There are several trucks at work (fleet vehicles) with 6.0s and 4R100s as well.
Pictures.... I mean he's your neighbor and all so shouldn't be hard?

ALL 6.0L with an automatic come with the 5R100.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I had an early 03 6.0 it had a 5r110, it's factory tranny is still sitting in my garage if you would like to verify it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took the truck into the shop and they found that it was the fan clutch that was causing all the problems. And to think I was going to open up the trans to look at the TRS. Thank God for better judgement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a 2005 F250 and my tow haul light starts blinking every time it gets to 50-55mph. It feels like it doesn't know if it should be in 4th or 5th gear. Also if I start off with it in tow haul mode it doesn't happen. Any help would be great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts