Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching blended fuels and came across this on another site.
I found it VERY interesting that mixing RUG with WVO improved mileage 40-50% This guy did alot of testing....
I did not however agree with what he said about salts in WVO and he discredited heated WVO systems completely which have been tested and proven to work fine IF done correctly.

Makes me wanna try running 8 gallons of RUG in my 90 gallon tank of WVO to see if milage improves.

Bio-Diesel: Farm Grown Profit
More detail of my testing

I am particularly interested to hear from Sciulli on this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
interesting. If you do try it let us know how it goes. That guy did do his research, but i can't afford or get a one ton press for smashing sunflowers seeds. lol

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not talking about growing sunflowers and pressing my own oil, I would just add the RUG to filtered WVO.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regular unleaded gas...RUG

·
Registered
514 Posts
let me know if you try it clay.... if it works ill be usin it too!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
RUG is a pretty common ingredient in blending along with kerosene. I agree though that the wvo should be heated. I believe it helps remove water.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bork over on the info-pop Solvent Blending forum runs 20% RUG with 80% WVO in his 7.3 He puts a lot of miles on it and he only has good things to say. He lives only a few miles from me and I have seen his set up. He is chipped and has a Dahl fuel filter, but other than that no fuel system mods.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not ever think of doing this without a heated fuel system like my vegistroke. The idea that the RUG breaks the glycerin down and burns more complete has me interested enough to research this more. And if it will cause better milage... but is that worth having to buy 34 bucks worth of RUG for every tank of vegi? This is something i will look into more and wiegh the pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don't feel bad. I was over on a few wvo boards and I was like :dunno:every other abbreviation.
I think half my posts are "what's ______ stand for?" fill the blank with any combo of letters.....:tard:

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I would not ever think of doing this without a heated fuel system like my vegistroke. The idea that the RUG breaks the glycerin down and burns more complete has me interested enough to research this more. And if it will cause better milage... but is that worth having to buy 34 bucks worth of RUG for every tank of vegi? This is something i will look into more and wiegh the pros and cons.
Chenry I have been doing some reading on blending and came across a few people not recommending blending RUG for those that are running a heated system. Heating it can cause vapor bubbles in your fuel system. Don't know if its a valid statement, but thought you would want to know to check to validate it or not:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chenry I have been doing some reading on blending and came across a few people not recommending blending RUG for those that are running a heated system. Heating it can cause vapor bubbles in your fuel system. Don't know if its a valid statement, but thought you would want to know to check to validate it or not:thumb:
Vapor bubbles....hmmm, let me think about this....in order to get vapor, you would have to have water?
If you have water in your fuel, you have already screwed up.
Where else could vapor come from? And we are not talking about heating to the boiling point of water (212* I think) but to 160-170 ish.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Vapor bubbles....hmmm, let me think about this....in order to get vapor, you would have to have water?
If you have water in your fuel, you have already screwed up.
Where else could vapor come from? And we are not talking about heating to the boiling point of water (212* I think) but to 160-170 ish.
Im not a chemist but as far as I know unleaded gas can give off vapors in a gas not liquid form so if your adding rug seems to be plausible:dunno: Anyway take it as you will:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just trying to figure it out, not a chemist either. I will study this though.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Any more on this, this is the kind of stuff I like to read about!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Well I have been working 12 hr days so this is the first time I have seen this post. Anyways, I'm no chemical engineer so I can’t say anything about why the MPG would increase, at least from that standpoint. If everything was held constant and by simply adding gas to the mix... his milage went up, I'd say there is something fishy going on. Gas has far less BTUs/volume and his methods and procedures (as well as his explanations) are somewhat vague.

Could his mileage went up... sure, I dont doubt that. Was it specifically because of gasoline... or rather some off the wall side effect? I didn’t read all of the posts or the article entirely so I don’t know if he was getting repeatable results. Plus... something tells me that blending gasoline with WVO, if it did have an effect like that, would be published in some sort of alternative fuels research journal and I have yet to come across anything of the sorts.

If he stumbled upon something new, then awsome, but I'm going to side with the massive universities with their millions of research dollars, when picking out truth from fiction. If you can find repeatable results(from the same people and others) then you have yourself a "more than likely" statement of results.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yeah of course vapor bubbles are possible from using rug, dont you remember when your old carburated cars would "vapor lock"? I would think it would be along the same lines...although i could be completely off too..

1 - 20 of 73 Posts