Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys dies anyone know where this bleed orfice is on our trucks and how to purge the air from our fuel systems.

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
It purges itself Very Quickly. The pump constantly supplies fuel to the filter housing and, whatever the engine doesn't use, goes back to the tank.

In fact, you probably run the entire tanks worth of fuel through the filter 10X by the time you burn it!

Turn the key on so the pump runs until it times-out (safety reasons, you never want an electric pump running constantly while the engines off because, in an accident, it would contribute to a fire) and shut the key off for a few seconds and back on so it will run again.

Three times and you'd have Everything 100% purged :wink[3]:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it purge though I don't think anyone really knows

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm wondering cause on big truck the air needs to leave

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
The air bleed is just in the threads in the filter housing below the seal, and is part of the fuel return circuit built into the filter bowl and air is returned to the tank.

This is a 6.0 bowl, the 7.3 is the same but a larger bowl

When you say "big truck" are you referring to a large engine with a mechanical system that must be bled or primed after a filter change or repairs?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im in class for like semis ok know where does that air bleed black into the tank so the air is always trapped in the fuel system sounds f up or is it just me i cant figure this one out . i see what you are saying bout that bleed whole but where does it go from there does it have a line on the inside from the canister to the tank im loast dont wanna screw up my fuel system.

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
yeah im in class for like semis ok know where does that air bleed black into the tank so the air is always trapped in the fuel system sounds f up or is it just me i cant figure this one out . i see what you are saying bout that bleed whole but where does it go from there does it have a line on the inside from the canister to the tank im loast dont wanna screw up my fuel system.
The top fitting, on the left, goes back to the tank and is the return line.

Because it IS at the top, any air is quickly carried away. As I said, it purges air VERY QUICKLY as soon as the fuel bowl is filled.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm so no air can get into the lines huh

·
Banned
3,782 Posts
You talking like on the old IDI's where you had to crack the injector line and crank it till fuel started spitting out? That's what our fuel bowl is for, instead of just having a inline filter.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i was wonder how it all worked i think yall got it all covered though lol

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Let me resurrect this thread for a second. Its that time of year for me where I change the filter. Changed, no problem. Started, drove 10 minutes and got to the base of a hill. Pressed on the pedal and the trans shifted as expected but it was a dog and wouldnt get much above 2k RPMs. Thought what the OP had posted and figured I didnt purge all of the air. So I got home and pulled the filter, reinstalled, made sure to purge and drove again. 100% of the power was restored and everything is running properly. Why was it starving for fuel if it automatically purges? I'm hoping I didnt starve the injectors unknowingly. Ive never had a filter change issue before :dunno:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Air got into your fuel rails and it had to go threw your injectors. If you had a riftraft fxp than you will never have air go threw your injectors

·
Behavior Modificationist
1,519 Posts
Oh well. Hopefully no harm done. I figured it would buck, shudder or cackle if I had air going through injectors but everything was smooth. Just had less power. I didnt even know anything was out of the ordinary until I was 10 minutes into the drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts