Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been reading on the forum for a while but wanted to know, if you had a blank slate. What would you do to my truck. I am a diesel newbie. If you assume that I know nothing, you are about correct. I just purchased a sweet fx4 2005 250 powerstroke with 60K miles on it and about 1 1/2 years on the motor warranty. I am making this my tow vehicle for my tournament fishing. I fish on the redfish tours and stay in the southeast the entire time. I tow a total weight of @3K lbs. This will be the truck's primary purpose as I am getting a car :( for my primary driver. I have been studying the mods you guys use and recommend but have been getting more and more confused. I am concerned with fuel economy and durability. My planned mods are:

4" turbo back exhaust--Help on brands here--what are the differences? Dual/single?

Intake -- Seems like most prefer the AEM or K&N-- but some others say that stock is plenty sufficient. What are your thoughts?

Programmer/Chip -- How does this work? Looks like the brand of choice is SCT. Will this void the warranty? Not looking for huge performance but wanting to maximize the economy.

Guages -- which are absolutely critical which are helpful which are just luxurious?

Brakes -- Dropping some cryo's on as soon as the ones that I have get toasted.

What other cosiderations would you look at?

I am in my late thirties but drive like I am in my late 60's when it comes to pulling a boat so that will help in fuel economy as well.

I will be installing a killer sound system in it and am in the creative stage currently. I installed while in college and put some stuff through IASCA so it will be fun when I get that wrapped up. I always try for over the top sound with a stealth install. I will keep you up to date on that.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the Org! There are many elements to choose from as I am sure you can tell. A turbo back exhaust is great if you want to do it, or a cat back exhaust will open up your system as well. Duals are purely for look from what I have been told, they add a lot to the price of a kit and give the same results as a single exhaust. I have my stock intake and it works well. The Zoodad mod will help get some air to your filter (someone will post the link or just do a search), and I have been told to stay away from K&N. 3k is not too much for these trucks, a programmer will likely void your warranty and the 6.0's have an issue with blowing the head gasket, not all have this problem but some do. SCT makes the best product for the 6.0, although there are many others out there it is up to you. Gauges you will want are EGT, tranny temp, and boost. If your EGT's (exhaust gas temps) get too high you can cause damage, the stock tranny gauge has been found to be unreliable, and the boost you will want to keep an eye on to not overboost while towing. Brakes are another option for you, but 3k is not much exra to push against the truck, so its your call.

As far as a sound system, I dont know what cab you have, but there is limited space and everyone has their opinions on what you should use. My sig has my system in it, might not be the best, but I love it!

sorry for the long post but I hope this answers some of your questions!

joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all of that. I am hoping that I can add a bit to the forum on the stereo realm. I have the crew cab and will let you all know what I do with the stereo. You are right about the space but I am very creative in finding space in tight spots and not afraid of a little custom fiberglass. This will be a fun challenge. I am looking at integrating a tweeter pod with a gauge cluster for the pillar right now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've built two enclosures fiberglass for my dads truck to mount inside the center console shell and one vented enclosure behind my back seat for an s8L7 same sub for both boxes. I preferred the center console box merely based on the acoustical dynamics of the truck. when i built i didn't want to affect the seats ability to fold or anything else in the truck.

·
back to business
3,551 Posts
:ORG welcome:
:welcome2::welcome1::welcome2:

Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on what to do, but just to add my 2 cents......

exhaust brand won't matter to much, just make sure it's a company you're comfortable with and has mandrel bends, also look into cat delete.

DO NOT use K&N!!!!! AFE would be my choice if I were to upgrade, but the stock unit will do you just fine for what you're looking for. You might look at the ZOODAD though, here's a link
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/25446-my-zoodad-install-pics.html

And I agree with EGT, Trans temp, and boost guages. :nod:

Hope this helps :thumb:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
:ORG welcome:

Yep, you got a good start on the mod list. If you aren't looking for big power, the stock intake will do you fine.:nod:

Exhaust is a matter of preference, but make sure you get stainless if around a lot of salt or water.:nod:

SCT with custom files is the prefered method for a tuner around these parts for the 6.0s.

As for gauges, once again, if you aren't looking for big power...EGTs definitely, Trans and Coolant are big plus' since the factorys are more of idiot lights. Factory boost aint too bad.:thumb:

You might also want to consider the EGR block/delete, especially if you do a lot of towing.

Any more questions, feel free to ask around and good luck with the rig!!:nod:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the SCT Livewire, does that replace the needed guages or do you still need the guages in addition. Is the info calculated or actual data from sensors that I run. Also, I have read that this voids, doesn't void, and possibly voids the warranty. Thanks so much for all of your help guys. Looking at the console today, I might be able to squeeze a 10w7 in there if I build a total custom one, extend it forward then wrap it in leather. With the stock lid and cup holders, this might be a "stealthbox" that I could live with.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Livewire will cover the gauges for you...you'll just need to get the optional EGT sensor with it.:nod:

As for warrany. On going debate. Biggest thing is if you have to take it in, reset back I stock and drive it (if drivable). Unless you are good friends withthe dealer, don't mention it. Play dumb.:hehe: Now, with the Livewire, ifthey dealer knows anything, they'll know it is also a tuner. So, I'd remove it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts