Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I got a question/problem.

My truck was in the shop for 4 days last week as they had to change a few things. I posted in a different thread that there was black soot on my tailpipe.

Well all day today my truck has been shooting alot of black smoke and i have a check engine light, havent had loss of power or anything.

My question is Im leaving for myrtle beach sunday morning at 3am from philadelphia area. Will I be ok for my trip? or do i have to get truck to dealer asap.

My truck is bone stock except for the AFE intake which has been on for 16k miles

thanks,

marc

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in the noise from the tail pipe?

I would have them check out the code, it could be something serious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got back from my trip to SC.

The truck has been running awesome and i averaged 15-16.5mpg at 80mph.

But my truck is still throwing black smoke. not a lot like on a 7.3 but a good amt. there is no cel.

do you think i should let it go or do i need to get it checked out? there has been no loss of power, etc. and its been throwing smoke for 2k+ miles the cel was on for the 1st day i noticed the smoke

thanks marc

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
From what I've read (I don't own an 08) -- when a DPF truck blows smoke, it means the DPF is shot.. they will blame it on your intake -- soooo, if you are going to have it fixed, take the intake off, put the stock one on - drive around like that until the codes clear and take it in...

otherwise its Russian Roulette with your warranty, and possibly still is...

Take it from Julian (TwinTurbo..) - the DPF is PRICEY and they will do everything they can to blame it on an aftermarket part to not have to replace it under warranty.. and supposidly the aftermarket intake allows too much air, which causes the computer to compensate with too much fuel, with somehow damages/cracks the material inside the DPF and causes it to fail...

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
a problem with the dpf!!! that is pretty good mileage i would talk with a 08 guy but maybe a cracked dpf

·
Registered
387 Posts

But my truck is still throwing black smoke. not a lot like on a 7.3 but a good amt. there is no cel.

do you think i should let it go or do i need to get it checked out? there has been no loss of power, etc. and its been throwing smoke for 2k+ miles the cel was on for the 1st day i noticed the smoke

thanks marc
Has the truck gone through a regen cycle? If so how long did it last and was smoke coming out of the pipe during regen, what color?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would think its a cracked dpf. Im getting better mpg, and i like the smoke so if i dont HAVE to do anything id like to let it be.

as for regan cycle. my truck very rarely goes into regan. it hasnt in a month atleast, or maybe it did one time and i didnt notice it. But last time it went into regan there was white smoke

thanks for the replys

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quick FYI. A cracked DPF can cause increased EGT's around the DPF and you can get a warning from the truck that says to "Pull over safely and turn truck off" The truck will not let you drive anywhere for 1 hour. Happened to my buddies truck after his DPF cracked.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Southtexas
your information gave me a good enough reason to take my truck to the dealer.

hopefully ill take it beginning of next week, i just got back from SC and have a lot of catching up to do with work and hate being with out my truck.

thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Keep us posted. My truck has some soot on the pipes for a while now. The mpg seems to have gotten better so I might have to hold off on the trip to the dealer. I will also have to take the S&B off before I bring it in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tucker-- Yeah my mpg seems to be alot better since its been shooting black smoke. like a 2-3mpg increase.

also one more question, if i was to take my truck to dealer to get checked out, i know i should take my intake off, but what difference would it make if my dealer/mechanic already knew that ive always had the intake on? they know me fairly well as i have 2 other trucks that they take care of.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it was me I would just take the 1/2 hr to put the stock one back on. You never know if a Ford rep might be looking around. Better to change it then have to pay $1800 for a new DPF.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Trucker's got the right idea. Always better safe than sorry. Ford is really trying to crack down on Mods, ***holes :punish2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
To the OP, did you ever get this sorted out? I have the exact same issue, but the dealer couldn't figure it out. They reset the computer and told me everything was fine, but it puffs pretty good on acceleration, or even if you step on it at idle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are replacing my dpf tomorrow. 15,000 kms.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Fixed.. DPF replaced, no smoke.

·
Registered
427 Posts

thanks marc
you came within miles of my shop on your way to myrtle.. we are about 10 minutes from myrtle beach here at oib.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i have the same problem now too it smokes a bit on normal driving and u can def see it when u get on it.. pretty sure shes cracked.. do they crack easy? it sounds like there very sensitive??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has been smoking pretty good for a while now I'm sure the DPF is failing, but she has 128k no her and no warranty. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) and I just complete a trip this summer of about 3k miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts