Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post so please point to resources if I’ve have blatantly missed them! Suggestions appreciated.

2005 Ford Excursion
6.0 Powerstroke
S&B CAI
Stock ECU tune
Atlas 40 FICM tune
Edge CTS3 monitor
KC stage 1 stock turbo (new)

I know I am over fueling as I have lost a lot of fuel economy but I am not throwing any codes. No loss of power and fires up each time properly. I get a ton of black smoke on acceleration, any acceleration. Doesn’t matter if I am easy on the go pedal or hard on it, any acceleration results in major black smoke. Here’s what I’ve checked/done so far and recent parts on the truck:

Stock Stage 1 KC billet turbo
New pipe clamps
New Ford OEM EBP sensor; tube was cleaned and verified
EGR valve pulled and cleaned (was not bad at all), new o-rings and gasket
Pigtail connector replaced on theVGT solenoid (was frayed with bare wires)
Pulled CAC pipe and visually inspected and cleaned; reinstalled to torque
Pulled and inspected silicone pipe boots; cleaned and torqued to spec

I’ve had two different Powerstroke technicians monitor values on the Ford IDS scan tool/computer and all signals and values look good and are in spec (MAF, MAP, VGT, EBP, ICP, ICW, IPR, etc.). No issues with injectors, at least they didn’t see any. I also pulled the S&B CAI off and replaced it with the stock Donaldson air cleaner with no change.

I guess I am finally down to a possible restriction in the catalytic converter or muffler? Can an exhaust restriction be the culprit? It is the only last system I have not checked, but before I pull it off, advice and general counsel is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few videos of me accelerating:

6.0 black smoke on acceleration 2

[URL="https://youtube.com/shorts/wx-kW1XA_xs?feature=share”]6.0 black smoke on acceleration 1[/URL]

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Did this just starte happening after the new turbo or was this happening before that? Can you feel it in the seat of your pants that you've lost any power?

Get Forscan lite for android/IPHONE and an OBDII bluetooth dongle and post some numbers for us.

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro and bismic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This issue was happening before the turbo and new EBP sensor.

It started when towing a 5k trailer in Colorado. Going up hill everything was good and then halfway up the hill, the acceleration went flat and a huge billow of smoke came out the back. I had to back off and ease back into the pedal to regain speed. This happened three more times on the trip and I’ve been trouble shooting the issue ever since. It seems to be getting worse though.

I’ll pull numbers with KOEO later today. In the meantime, here is a video with numbers while running and under load. (These numbers are before the new OEM EBP sensor.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I downloaded ForScan Lite and hoped my UltraGauge Blue dongle might work but it doesn’t. Will need to order a compatible dongle I guess.

In the meantime, I used the CTS3 to monitor parameters from the PIDs at KOEO and Idle. Here are the results:

KOEO:

EBP - 0
MAF V - .044
MAF G/S - 0
Baro - 12
MAP - 12
APP - 0
ICP PSI - 0
ICP V - .24
IPR - 15%
IPW - 0 MS
VGT - 0%

Idle:

EBP - 3 PSI
MAF V - 1.25
MAF G/S - 23
Baro - 12
MAP - 12
APP - 0
ICP PSI - 750
ICP V - 1.01
IPR - 28%
IPW - 1.2 MS
VGT - 76.5%

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Guessing you live ~5500ft elevation?

Keep those values on your CTS3 and go take it for a drive. Get us a video of a medium acceleration takeoff and a hard acceleration takeoff. Report back to us with the video and numbers.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Nope.

-jokester

·
Compression Ignition Addict
11,068 Posts
Just been having a conversation with @peixinho on this subject, He has a comprehensive checklist of things to look into.

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
The start of the issue leads me to think you have low compression or over-fuelling in one or more cylinders. Since it wasn't after a tune change, and it isn't throwing any codes that you know of, the wiring and FICM are probably not involved.

The turbo and, more importantly, the connections could be an issue as the event started while going up a grade. The new turbo didn't fix the issue, so you may have missed a hot side leak - although it would be significant to result in what you are seeing.

It is possible the Atlas 40 is corrupt or that you have had a glitch to the PCM - it happens - that is causing the Pulse Width to be larger or the Injector Timing to be off. You could try reloading the base tune, or try another altitude adjusted tune.

Again, going back to the start of the issue, it is quite likely you have an injector issue that isn't coding - yet. You may only catch this with an uncompensated contribution balance test. My best guess is you have a damaged (cracked) nozzle in one cylinder. Just one cylinder under performing when towing up a hill will make the truck seem flat.

FWIW, if this has only started when it is hot outside, it may just be environmental and you need an adjusted tune. Since you are at altitude, it will be worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks @twoicebergs. This gives me another lead to chase down. I guess I need to find someone, or a shop that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg, that has the scanner to run that type of test! I understand ForScan Lite won’t do so…? Anyone in the north Denver/Boulder area with IDS software interested/willing to help?

I’ll also call FICMRepair Monday and have a chat as they did the FICM Atlas 40 tune for me last year and just see if there is a possibility that the tune went corrupt. Worth checking!

Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Just following up a video of PIDs under light load and heavy load:

https://youtube.com/shorts/NGb4RLC-oaU?feature=share

Also, I had a PS specialty shop review numbers using their shop scanner and the word back is that everything is in spec, including cylinder contribution tests (compensated and uncompensated). I also asked them to reflash the PCM and the FICM just in case something was off. I’ve always assumed the pcm was stock but I did not know, hence the reflash to have a confirmed starting point. So now both pcm and FICM are stock and confirmed.

The only potential issue might be that they noticed a few sweeps in the EGR Valve readings (?). They told me the EGR was aftermarket and might not be functioning as it should, meaning it is staying open slightly (or more) when it shouldn’t. It’s not throwing codes. I didn’t know there were aftermarket EGR valves; maybe they mean remanufactured oem under different part numbers?

I’d welcome thoughts on this idea and any feedback on the light and heavy load specs in the video. Still blowing more smoke then it used to so something is still off.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
25,173 Posts
Did you ever figure this issue out? I am having a similar problem and I am about to change my EGR Valve as soon as it gets here.
Sounds like you are getting help here:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

No, not to my satisfaction. I was told all sensors and parameters are in spec and the pipes all look good. But something is not right.

I did watch a dieseltechron video and started monitoring the ICP and the IPR. Specs on the ICP seemed funny to me (seemed random at times). I unplugged it and the truck did not blow black smoke except on hard accelerations from stop. So I decided to buy a new Ford ICP (easy enough RandR) and that made a BIG difference. I still notice black smoke on acceleration (not anywhere close to the amount before though) but have also started to tune into the fact that it seems worse as the truck warms up.

So here’s a question for the forum: is it possible that there is a crack in one of the pipes that opens up more as it heats up, thus throwing off the air/fuel ratio?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
In your video, your EBP looks a bit low to me...that or your MAP is reading too high. EBP shows to be equal to or less than MAP on your acceleration, and that is backwards to me.

It could also be my hearing, but I thought I hear a whine in your video during acceleration that sounds like it could be a small boost leak.

If I were you, I'd pull & clean MAP sensor, make sure the MAP hose is clear with no split/cracked ends, and make sure the nipple on the intake manifold thay the MAP hose attaches to is clear.

Also, I'm surprised you're running the stock PCM tune with a KC Stage 1. This might be an area to focus on as well...

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll take a look at all of those things. Thanks for the pointers. I may have mis-written about the turbo. It is a STOCK KC billet turbo; not a Stage 1. So…Stage 0?

I have tried running canned STC tunes and Blessed Diesel EcoBeast tune without much difference in the smoke.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just following up a video of PIDs under light load and heavy load:

Light load, heavy load PIDs

Also, I had a PS specialty shop review numbers using their shop scanner and the word back is that everything is in spec, including cylinder contribution tests (compensated and uncompensated). I also asked them to reflash the PCM and the FICM just in case something was off. I’ve always assumed the pcm was stock but I did not know, hence the reflash to have a confirmed starting point. So now both pcm and FICM are stock and confirmed.

The only potential issue might be that they noticed a few sweeps in the EGR Valve readings (?). They told me the EGR was aftermarket and might not be functioning as it should, meaning it is staying open slightly (or more) when it shouldn’t. It’s not throwing codes. I didn’t know there were aftermarket EGR valves; maybe they mean remanufactured oem under different part numbers?

I’d welcome thoughts on this idea and any feedback on the light and heavy load specs in the video. Still blowing more smoke then it used to so something is still off.

Thanks.

I was having similar issue with smoke. I also had it throw the egr code, 401 I think, then it went away. But the smoke issue was still present along with a slight loss of power. Ended up cleaning the egr valve, ebp sensor and tube....but did not change anything. Then I got the PO284 code, so I took it in for diagnosis and they determined the egr valve was causing the issue.
I asked if the egr would cause the 284 code and they said no. Went with their suggestion on changing the egr valve and all is good. They cleared the codes and three days later my 284 code has not come back.

·
Premium Member
9,133 Posts
In your video, your EBP looks a bit low to me...that or your MAP is reading too high. EBP shows to be equal to or less than MAP on your acceleration, and that is backwards to me
Depends on how the readout is displaying the numbers -- absolute or gauge
all of the "tuners" that I have seen display EBP wrong, so maybe

Usually the EBP is 2 -3 times the MAP reading -- or turbine vs compressor ratio is about 2 -3 times
Fords software and ForScan seen to read accurately -- there may be others, but I don't know for sure

Anyways, ...you are correct -- EBP should read quite a bit higher than MAP

Here is some fun stuff, if you want to torture your brain:

Turbos how they work

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All,

Pulled the MAP and hose and cleaned the MAP sensor and inspected the hose (no cracks or visible issues with it) today. I’ve not taken it driving yet but will try tomorrow and report back on any improvements.

On my test drive yesterday, there was no smoke at all in any acceleration when the truck was still cool (EOT/ECT = 120* up to 180* + or -). But after it was warmed up and above 180* +/- the smoke started to appear. What could be the correlation between black smoke and temperature?

Another question for you all: my truck is an 2005 but seems to have parts from 04 here and there. I know it has a throttle plate in the elbow and I did pull the elbow and I cleaned the plate, but is there any reason to not remove the plate? I’ve read that it is not commanded by the PCM and I’ve read that it is commanded by the PCM and am curious if there is an advantage to just removing it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts