Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Will my CTS2 do the injector click test?

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Nopers ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I ordered the MX+ and am waiting for it to arrive. While I was waiting I thought I'd tear into things and see if I can see anything obvious. I got the #8 injector out and attached some pics of numbers, etc. Does anyone recognize the numbers on this? I have only had this truck for about 15k miles so I have no idea what was done to it before. I am a little scared of possibly putting in a stock injector in place of some higher performance one. The easy answer would be to replace all 8 just to be sure, but that is far from the cheapest answer! Also, does the carbon buildup around the base of this look normal? I don't have a bore scope but am currently looking for options to try and see down inside. I also am looking for ways to clean the cup. I saw a video from Srmastertech on youtube and he very briefly shows what looks like a baby bottle brush and mentions how important it is to clean everything. He is the only one I have seen even mention cleaning, though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
That build up is normal, possibly left over assembly lube or the lower oring leaked a little fuel into that space
the important seal is the copper washer and the upper oring

Low fuel pressure at some point can cause the return spring in the intensifier piston to break -- this causes the injector to not be able to get a full charge of fuel, and possibly cause contribution issues
-- the bolts that hold the top on, just under the coils, lets you see the intensifier piston

There is a brush set to clean the injector cup out, but a 16 gauge shotgun brush will also work
just be careful to NOT scratch the sealing surfaces -- use brass or nylon

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Welp - I got injector #8 swapped out and all seems to be back to normal! I used a Ford reman from KT Performance. I also got that OBD Link in the mail today, too so I'll be playing with that to try and be ready for the next thing. Thanks for the help

21 - 25 of 25 Posts